Tuesday, 13 October 2009

The Next Interview

I've interviewed for two jobs this past week, both internal to my company, that we'll call the "Dallas job" and the "Chicago job" (sounds like a mob hit, doesn't it?), because that's where the people I would be working for are located.

With the "Dallas job", I spoke to the woman who would be my boss last Wednesday, and I have to say I wasn't impressed. She seemed overly concerned about the fact that I'm not in Dallas, and that she wouldn't be able to watch over my shoulder all of the time to see what I was doing. (Given how much of my day I waste on Facebook, I can't imagine what I would do if people could actually see what's on my computer screen).

Then on Thursday I had an interview for the Chicago job. These people kept me talking for 45 minutes, and I have no idea what they thought of me, as I didn't get a single opportunity to ask questions or ask about the role at all. So it looks great on paper, but who knows what it means in reality?

On Friday, I had another interview for the Dallas job, with the people the next level up. This interview went much better, except for the point when I actually blurted out, "Wow, this job sounds so much more interesting now!" Had to try and recover from that one a bit, but I have to say, given what I know now, the job seems like more of a possibility. Although they warned me that their major concern about me is that I'm actually over-qualified for the position. So we'll see how that goes.

My recruiter called on Friday to ask how things were going, and I told her that while the Chicago job sounds great on paper, I never got a chance to ask any of the managers questions about the job during my interview. Barely five minutes later then (I'm guessing she called them), they set up an appointment for me on Monday, with the specific purpose of giving me a chance to ask questions about the job. Nice.

So on Monday I spoke to the people for the Chicago job, and I have to say that now it's definitely the front-runner as my preferred job, but who knows if I'll even get offered either? It's just so hard to know what people are thinking based off of one 20-minute interview, which is supposed to tell you everything about the people you'll be spending most of your waking hours with. And to think of how much time people spend on dating, just trying to figure out who they're going to spend a couple of nights a week with!

In the evening, I made my way out to my first Hash Committee meeting, as now that I'm the treasurer, I get to be part of the fun business of actually running the organization now. Princess said he was going to be late (he was having to run home and pack his bags for a last-minute work trip to Munich) so asked me to start the meeting in his place. I have to say, after all of my time with my current company, it was much more difficult to run a meeting in a pub with people who wouldn't stay on topic, but at least I did manage to drag everyone through the agenda in 1.5 hours (something that would have taken 30 min on a conference call at my company!) Took minutes on my laptop, and got everyone through everything, and then got out of there, leaving everyone else to play darts. I guess running a group full of drinking runners is a bit different from running a team at a high performance company! Oh well, all something to learn, I guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment