Monday, 26 October 2009

Clocks Fall Back

The clocks went back in England on Saturday night, meaning that now there's a week of confusion with the US coming up, as London will be only four hours ahead of the East Coast. On the upside however, I got an extra hour of sleep!!

I got up in time for yoga class, and then afterwards went to feed my friend's cat. The cat seemed excessively excited to see me, so I stayed and pet it for a while, although before too long I really needed to get going. Although that cat was so determined that I shouldn't leave, that it ran out into the hallway of the apartment building as I was trying to leave! Hence ensued 20 minutes of chasing the cat around the hallway, trying to imagine how on earth I was going to explain to my friend that I'd lost her cat whilst I was feeding it. Eventually I managed to tackle the cat, although it dug it's claws into the carpeting, leading me to imagine what it would look like if anyone were to come out into the hallway at that moment: Me hanging onto a yowling cat that was attatched to the carpet like velcro, determined not to come off!

Eventually I did get the cat back inside the flat, and finally make it home to where I was supposed to change and go out to meet friends. Yet when my flatmate asked where I was going, and I said, "Redback", she asked me, "Do you really want to go there?" And explained to me that I was headed to the pub that was infamous for giving people a glass for £10, and then allowing them to drink as much as they liked of whatever they liked for the next few hours. Her brother once got his drink spiked there, and it was a notorious bastion of mayhem. Did I really want to go? Perhaps not.

So instead I set myself to the task of writing to the guy I had met on Friday. After all, I'd told him that I would e-mail him the next day, but here I still hadn't done it. Yet the more I tried to compose a witty-yet-breezy e-mail, the more idiotic and inane I sounded. To give you an example:

Subject line: "Howdy Neighbour!"

"Saying 'howdy' might seem excessively American, but at least I know how to spell 'neighbour' correctly, so you can see that I'm becoming quite British...no wait, I'm learning to be British..."

OMG. I sound like a crazy lady!

And the more I edited, the worse it got. Eventually I just gave up, although with a moment of insight: Every time I meet a guy and we seem to hit it off brilliantly, and then I never hear from him again or hear from him randomly a significant amount of time later, is this what happens? That he actually freaks out so much about not knowing what to say, that he doesn't say anything at all?

It was a sudden moment of insight, making me feel a lot better about all of those guys who haven't called. How funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment