The weekend was mostly a total washout, spent recovering and looking for papers. So no real interesting stories there.
Monday I went to spinning class, and then on Tuesday had a lunch interview and my usual running club run.
The lunch interview was interesting, as it came about totally randomly. I hadn't made much progress on informing people outside of Accenture that I was looking for a new role, so I was quite surprised when a woman at another company that I work with fairly regularly gave me a call and said, "I hear you're looking for a new role!" She then told me that the executive director of her company was going to be in London the next day, and wanted me to consider having lunch with him.
So I agreed, exchanging e-mails with the executive director, and at noon on Tuesday found myself standing near the Underground entrance at Paddington, looking for a man about 5'10" and wearing glasses. (It always seems like a somewhat futile endeavour, standing around scanning the crowds, looking for a person when you have no idea what they look like). Luckily, I think it's that "seeking" look that actually tells people what they are looking for, and so when I was approached by a man in glasses inquiring, "Adrian?" I knew I'd found my man.
We were joined by a German woman from the London office, and she suggested we go Chinese for lunch, which is how we ended up in this place outside of the station getting dim sum.
I was really annoyed at the waitress, for it was obvious that I should sit on one side of the table, with my two "interviewers" opposite me on the other side, but she just kept insisting constantly that the guy sit next to me, until it seemed silly to protest. But as a result, I kept having to turn awkwardly to face them both throughout the entire meal, and barely got to devote any attention to my food. I think I made a relatively good impression, but it was at the expense of my meal, as I barely got a chance to reach for any of the dim sum, they kept me busy talking to much of the time. Hence I left my "free lunch" absolutely starving, annoyed at the waitress, and determined not to go there again!
Still, it was a good interview, and I'll be interested to see what might come of it. Even if it was ridiculous that right after lunch I felt the need to go home and make myself a giant bowl of pasta!
In the evening, it was time to go running, although everyone I work with seems to have an amazing ability to sense right when I need to leave, and start IMing me right then. So as I was struggling to get out the door, I was attacked by people with job questions (which I always feel the need to stay and answer, as it might affect my future employment), and before I knew it, it was 7:15, the time I'm already supposed to be at the pub to set off on the run!
As I was already changed, I figure I might as well go anyway, and join everyone for drinks afterwards. A pity I wouldn't get to do any running, but that's what you get for being late. So imagine my surprise when as I left the Tube station and was walking to the pub, I ran into the entire group of runners running the last stretch back to the pub! So I stripped off my fleece and ran with them, at least getting in one good sprint at the end. I even arrived back at the pub slightly sweaty, making me look like I'd actually gone for a run!
Spent most of my time with the group afterwards discussing visa issues and my job search, as someone gave me a lead on another job, and just talking about needing to get together the various papers necessary for visa stuff. Argh, this visa is going to drive me insane!
No comments:
Post a Comment