Friday, 25 February 2011

Return to Cambridge


Today I went up to Cambridge for a reception with my club, to talk to students who might potentially think about joining after they graduate. I left work at 2:30 PM (hope nobody missed me!) and got to the train station, where I got to quickly greet the Wild Welshman, except before he could bring up anything about my ill-considered text on Wednesday, got quickly ensconced in conversation with The Irishman.

(Quick background for you:

The Irishman - Went to my college at Cambridge, super-nice guy, who I actually could see myself dating, except that he shows less than no interest and is always talking to me about other girls he's dating anyway. So I just appreciate that he's super-nice and good fun, and the type I can just text randomly after work asking, "You around for a drink?" without it seeming weird).

The Irishman and Doro and I ended up chatting the whole way up to Cambridge, and it was funny how much I enjoyed reliving college memories with them. There's something about that bond that you have with people who went to your college, that nobody else will ever quite understand.

We then went to the reception, which was mostly circulating and making polite conversation with people. It was like all of your classic networking events, where I just chatted with people for ages and pretty much handed out all of the business cards I had on me. It was funny though at one point, as I looked around I just spotted the hottest guy in the room, and then walked right over to talk to him. Luckily he turned out to be hot AND nice, and I chatted to him for about 15 minutes and then gave him my card (leave them wanting a bit more, right?) Who knows if he'll ever call, but it was just a pleasure to have him smile at me and talk only to me for a bit! (This is what I like to think about some of the guys who chat me up, that maybe it's just enough to have me smile at them...)

After the reception, the Wild Welshman went off to meet his brother, and the Irishman, our friend, and some random American guy we latched onto all went for dinner. I discovered I'm not so great at math after a few glasses of wine, when I kept insisting that if three of us paid £15 each, it only added up to £35.

Finally made it home on the last train back from Cambridge, arriving in London at 1:30 AM after the Tube had shut. Not the best idea, but as is the entire point of this blog, single people like me get to brag about is that we get to sleep in each morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment