Wednesday, 2 February 2011

Hanging with C Dogg

Before I knew that I would see C Dogg at last night's run, I'd made plans to have drinks with him this evening at the club. He wasn't free to meet until 8 PM, so I headed out later than usual, made it to the club, and he shortly joined me.

At first it was a teeny bit awkward, because although we're friends, I suddenly realised that we never really do the "one-on-one" thing. All of a sudden, I began to wonder if this had been a good idea. Maybe alcohol would help? Ah, but he was feeling the effects of a cold and wasn't really drinking.

Yet, as time progressed, we both relaxed and remembered, "Hey yeah, that's right, we actually really like each other." Of course, to keep things on the up-and-up, I asked him about his girlfriend, a young 20-year old who he's quite smitten with. It's funny, because he's a good-looking and sociable guy who would have no problem playing the field, but he's at least wise enough to recognize that finding a smart, pretty girl who shares his sense of humour is not to be easily dismissed. Apparently she really wants to meet me too, for the obvious reason that she's a bit nervous about her boyfriend having a really good female friend. (I've known this for quite a while that she's suspicious of me, but I guess I'm just going to have to meet her to convince her she has nothing to worry about!)

Eventually after sitting in the bar for a while, we made our way upstairs, and I found that my favourite spot, the two chairs in front of the fire in the Silent Library, was unoccupied. (I love how I take such delight in violating the tenants of the Silent Library, but it really is the best spot in the whole club for a conversation!)

Once there, we really settled back and chatted, as he paged through the copies of Burke's Peerage above the mantle, and talked about being a boy growing up in Essex who has become more successful than any of his peers, but yet still agonizes about not wanting to appear as though he enjoys the "posh" lifestyle. Even being at the club was obviously causing a huge conflict for him, as he really enjoyed it while yet being against it in principle!

I had to laugh mostly at his amusing nervous energy, as he talks at a mile-a-minute, often leaping from one topic of conversation to another as his brain just keeps making rapid-fire connections. I suppose that's why I enjoy his company so much, as although it can be hard to get a word in edgewise sometimes, I can totally relate to the lightning speed with which his brain moves.

I was surprised as we were talking, when he revealled that he really has little time for most people, and that sometimes he's just told people, "You don't seem interesting enough for me to bother talking to," and they've thought he's kidding. (Wouldn't anyone? I mean, who actually says that to people?) But he said, "In truth, I'd rather read a book most of the time rather than waste time talking to random people." So apparently not only was it exceptionally rare of him to even be out on a weekday night with someone, the added fact that he was staying out late with me should give me an indication of the level of regard for me. Particularly for a one-on-one night like that, when we finally dashed out of the club at 12:15 AM in a mad run for the Tube, tells you how much C Dogg loves hanging with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment