Thursday, 10 February 2011

The Good News of Others

I had a quiet Wednesday and Thursday after my drinks plans for Weds got cancelled and I never managed to sort out plans for Thurs. Yet they were still marked by some good news from people I know.

First of all my cousin's ex-girlfriend (yes, funny that I'm still friends with my cousin's ex-girlfriend, but I think that while she and my cousin were never quite a great couple, she was just fabulous!) wrote to let me know that she'd bought a house with her new boyfriend!! This guy that she's been dating is always a lesson to me to consider the wisdom of my hairdresser, that you should pay attention to how much a boy likes you as much as you like him. Because after years of being "just friends" with this guy, she caved in and started dating him, and has just been blissfully happy ever since, as he dotes on her so much. And now they've bought a house together, and from the pictures she sent me, it looks fabulous!

Then I got a second dose of great news, when my friend Caro in Argentina wrote to tell me she'd gotten engaged! I'd met her boyfriend when I went to stay with her family in Argentina about two years ago, and I had to admit that he was a wonderfully charming and nice guy. Apparently it was a super-romantic proposal, as he went and grabbed her at work on Friday, whisked her away to a hacienda for the weekend where they went horseback riding and swimming in the ocean, and then as they were dressing for dinner, he had her come out to the balcony at sunset where dinner was actually already arranged. Then turned out he got down on one knee and proposed, and of course she said yes! Darn those Argentine men, I mean can you imagine anything more romantic?

And then finally the best news came when the Young Dutchman told me that he'd gotten an interview at Oxford. Now I'm just absolute assured that he will get in, because he can talk anybody into anything. I will keep my fingers crossed for him, but I was absolutely thrilled!

No comments:

Post a Comment