
Saturday was the running club beer pong tournament, to be followed by everyone apparently going to a Chinese New Year party, where it was the Year of the Rabbit. Hence, in an effort to dress somewhat in costume for the later party, I wore a satin-style skirt with red designs (somewhat Chinese-like), and a white fuzzy sweater (somewhat rabbit like). It was only after I left the house and sat down on the Tube that I realised the skirt I was wearing rode up considerably, making it way too short and way too tight. Apparently I've gained a few pounds since I bought it, and hence spent the entire afternoon feeling super self-conscious about how I must look like I was stuffed into sausage casing. Didn't help when I arrived at the flat for the beer pong tourney to realise everyone else was wearing t-shirts and jeans, leaving their costumes for later. Particularly as the hosts requested we take our shoes off, that meant I was running around all afternoon in somewhat worn fishnets. Oh my gosh, what a fashion disaster! Felt quite self-conscious about how I looked all afternoon, sure that I was definitely showing off a few muffin-top fat rolls!

Still, the set-up of the game was quite impressive. They had four tables lined up, plastic over almost everything, and a giant league table set up displaying all of the tournament groups and progressions. I had been expecting something much more casual, yet these guys had obviously put quite a bit of effort into it!
I was paired with the Giant Australian for the tournament, since he had specifically requested to play with me. He arrived obviously freshly showered and shaved, and it was so obvious that we were in some sort of set-up that it was hugely awkward at first. I'm not proud to admit, I was eager for us both to get some beer into our systems to take the edge off, as I was feeling incredibly pudgy and awkward standing there!
Strangely we got into a discussion about proper high-fiving technique, where the Giant Australian was keen to share with everyone the advice that if you watch the other person's elbow, you're sure to hit the high-five on the mark. Kind of funny, because I already had learned that valuable lesson quite a few years back from my cousin. (It really works though, I never miss a high-five). I guess I'm one of the cool kids in the know...

So we got started playing, although in the first two games, I just couldn't seem to get any ping pong balls into the cups. It was hugely frustrating, particularly as we lost our first two games by just one beer. If only I'd managed to sink a few!
Yet in our third game (the last one we needed to play in our group, I finally seemed to hit my stride somewhat, and managed to sink a few, even leading to a roll-back (i.e. two throws in a row) after the Giant Australian managed to sink his on the same turn.
We finally got to the point where the opposing team had only one cup left, while we had four safely held in reserve on our side. Yet the Giant Australian and I had been pursuing a strategy we'd seen other teams use, where instead of dividing all of the beer equally, we'd been filling one cup almost entirely, while putting very little beer in the other cups. The idea being (hopefully) to leave the overly full glass for your opponents if you won the game and they had to drink your leavings.
Yet, just as we were playing, our opponents managed to get the ball into our overly full cup! The Giant Australian looked at me, and I just gave him a smile and said, "You're a better thrower than I am", and so downed the beer. Proved to be a smart choice, as on the very next throw, he sank the ping pong ball into their last cup, and won the game for us. He then crowed proudly to everyone about me, "That's what we call taking one for the team!"
Strangely, despite having lost 2 out of our 3 games, apparently we won our third game by such a convincing margin that it put us in the second-place spot to advance into the quarter-finals. We played a well-fought game (I even got a few more in!) but in the end we lost by just one cup. Yet I was grateful at that point, as I was getting so tipsy I doubt I could have had much more to drink!
Of course, perhaps I also lost that quarter-final game because at one point I felt something hit me and slide down the front of my shirt, only to realise that Pork Pie had managed to throw a Smartie candy right into my cleavage! I managed to dig it out, but it really had the whole room in uproarious laughter, and made me a bit self-conscious about the whole thing!

Also, I was grateful when the whole thing came to an end, because that meant that I no longer had to deal with the Giant Australian's hyper-competitiveness. When we were doing well he was great and so excited, but when we were losing he kept saying, "But I never lose!" and "I'm carrying you! You're terrible at this game!!" I wished he would just chill out, so I was grateful to send him off to be a "judge" of the final, and go talk to much more relaxed people on the sidelines.
I spent quite a bit of time talking to C Dogg, and then later when his girlfriend arrived, recognized her instantly and so went over to chat with her to make her feel included. Knowing how nervous she is about me, I also made sure to talk about how much C Dogg adores her and talks about her, as I want to reassure her that she has nothing to fear from me! (How funny though, I got a FB-friend request from her the very next day. Okay my dear, you can keep an eye on me if you like!)
Also, as though I wasn't feeling self-conscious enough about my outfit, this chap who I shall refer to as the Dumb American came over and said to me, "Nice skirt!" at one point, causing me to go red with embarrassment. I therefore felt a bit better when he was so stupid as to bet £50 on the final of the tournament, and of course lost it. Only idiots bet, but I somehow feel better when dumb idiots lose their money...
We got to the final of the tournament, and Roofie and his brother won the whole thing. Good on them! So everyone started to peel off to go to the other parties and events they were going to that evening.
Once the final winner had been declared, he was off to another party, and I was supposed to go to this Chinese New Year party (hence the awful outfit). So he said we should do drinks soon, and then kissed once on each cheek, and then kissed me good-bye on the lips. Nothing passionate, more what you see long-term couples do. Not exactly great for my self-confidence, which was still feeling a bit fat in my too-tight skirt. But it still left me left thinking, "Can I somehow sleep with you, without having to actually talk to you or be seen in public with you?" That would be nice if I could figure that one out somehow... Argh. I can not figure out if I like him or not.
Some things are really great (he's super-fit, and when he wraps an arm around me I can just settle against that broad chest and think, "This is nice") and then there are things I don't (his over-competitiveness and berating me for my poor throwing skills).
He suggested to me, "Why don't we go to one of those black-tie events at your club sometime?" And I do think he would look quite good in black-tie and would know how to behave himself, except that I can't imagine anything worse than having to take him to an Inter-Club event. Just too much explaining about who this guy was I was showing up with. I seriously cannot figure out how to make this one work!

I then went with everyone else to the Chinese New Year party and fended off the advances of the Dumb American who kept bringing me G&Ts with way too much G. Was very annoyed about that, and so eventually just decided to go home at 11 PM so I could scarf water. Plus, I was just bored at that point, as a distressing number of boys were either gay (not surprising, given that the host was) or not interested in pudgy me. Either way, not great for the self-confidence.
I left the party at around 11 PM, walking over Tower Bridge and chatting to a friend of mine on Skype as I went. (How I love the new iPhone!) I still somehow departed late enough that I had to go back to Hammersmith to catch the bus, and figured I would get two McDonald's double-cheeseburgers while I was there. (Not healthy, but good for soaking up alcohol!) Then got the brilliant idea to call my dad, and chatted with him my whole bus ride and walk home. I think my parents are always amused by my late-night calls! Made it home soon enough, wishing the evening might have ended differently, but glad to be safely home on my own...
No comments:
Post a Comment