Tuesday, 1 February 2011

The Gang's All Here

In the morning, I'd agreed to play squash with the Young Dutchman in the morning, just because he really needed to get out and stop stressing over how much he wants to go to Oxford. Plus, it was a good break from my work day, and a chance to play with someone else.

As we played of course we chatted, although I didn't get a chance to moan about silly boys as much as I would have liked. I was talking however about how that infamous evening had been one of my first real opportunities to hang out with the Head of Inter-Club, and how he'd seemed like a nice guy. So you can imagine by surprise when the Young Dutchman told me a story about how they'd been out on Friday night after the Inner-Temple Burns Night, and how the Head of Inter-Club had been shockingly rude to a few girls who had tagged along. Now admittedly, the girls had just come with the crowd and weren't members of the RAC, but apparently when they'd been there, the Head of Inter-Club had gone up to them, told them they were sitting in chairs for members, and that they had to move. The Young Dutchman seemed absolutely flummoxed by such a Jekyll and Hyde move.

I also had fun hearing about his weekend in Oxford and how he seduces women, which is basically to wait outside and not force the girls to be seen to be leaving with him. By being subtle, he actually gets a lot more action. He pointed out that the problem most guys have is that they want to be able to brag to their friends about it, but then never get anywhere. I suddenly realised how every time with JG, this has been exactly what happened, that he was already outside and I never had to be shown leaving with him, and he's always so trustworthy he's never spoken about it. And how funny that I'm always willing to go for him? Genius.

I got back to work at 1:30 PM, having left the flat at 10:30 AM! Yikes!! Perhaps need to rethink how I schedule squash games, as three hours is a long time to take out of the work day...

I had an evening conference call scheduled, so I figured I would just be skipping the run that night (as it was a Tuesday). Yet, as I was working I got an e-mail from B saying he would be there, and I already knew that C Dogg would be there too. So since I had some time before the call, why not at least go and show up at the start and see everyone? Turned out to be an excellent move, because in addition to B and C Dogg, Matt (my favourite person!) and DM were there too!

I had a great time talking to everyone, but it was almost doing my head in, as there were so many people there who I wanted to say hello to. I did my best to get to everyone, but I was just like an overly-excited puppy just spinning in circles because I couldn't decide who to talk to.

The run set off, and although I'd been hoping to join them for a bit, I realised that I needed to start my journey back if I was going to have the 40-minutes I needed to make the journey. Got back in 30 minutes and did the call, which was actually quite good and useful (I guess I really did need to be there, huh?) but instead of holding me for the full hour, after 30-40 minutes they let me go. Hence, I realised if I left I could make it back by about 9:10, so why not go back to see everyone at the run?

Matt was still there, and immediately offered to buy me a drink, although he was a pound short. Hence I just dumped a load of change into his hand and let him sort it out. We were both laughing though, and how he offers to buy a girl a drink and then has to take money from her... Of course since it's me, Matt and I both just found that hysterically funny. It was kind of awkward as this random guy from New York who I remembered meeting from the summer kept trying to talk to me, and I was almost rude to him as I kept trying to move around into conversations with Matt and find somewhere to stash my coat... I swear I wasn't intentionally rude!

Then I found that DM was just about to leave, but I caught up with him, and through my usual joking around, managed to convince him to stay for a bit. It was kind of crazy when we realised we had both been in Miami Beach in December, I'm absolutely shocked that I didn't run into him on the boardwalk at some point! And I have to say I was pretty impressed when I just flipped into Spanish with him, and he actually kept up fairly well (even though he couldn't speak quite as fluently as I can). Who knew that DM was such a treasure trove of hidden talents?

He was also telling me about how Alan (the ex-boyfriend of a friend, the reason we know each other) has apparently turned into a total manwhore, with girls around everywhere, although DM seemed somewhat worried that this was a reaction to some sort of romantic heart-break. Particularly as he had one who was acting kind of stalkerish and texting him constantly, but Alan seemed to go for the attention. Given that I wanted DM to come out for the rugby on Friday, I promised to do my best to be stalkerish and constantly send annoying texts for the next week. (Truth be told, I failed miserably at being a stalker, by totally forgetting to text him the next day, and then sending two texts on Thursday. Wow, I guess I'm just not crazy enough as a girl!)

Even my good humour couldn't convince DM to stay forever, so I bid him good-bye and went back to talking to Matt and his girlfriend's sister. Good chatting to them, and it was such a treat to see Matt after so long.

Finally I finished out my evening's conversations by talking to C Dogg, and we were joined by Caroline (lovely girl in the hash who I hadn't realised liked me enough to make an effort to come say hello). Somehow in the course of conversation ended up showing them texts from the random Italian Guy who asked me out on the Tube, which had them both laughing in hysterics. Eventually it was time to head home, so C Dogg walked me to the Tube. Admittedly we kept making jokes about how we shouldn't talk too much, or we were going to run out of conversation when we had drinks the next day! Still, I doubt we'll run out of things to talk about, and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing him tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment