Wednesday, 23 February 2011

Double-Booked Party Fun


This evening was the first of the "Last Wednesday of the Month" Younger Member's Drinks at the club, and this time I was determined to arrive before 6:30 PM, so I could hopefully beat the crowds there.

I made it in at 6:20 PM, and was just congratulating myself on my timely arrival, when S arrived just shortly afterwards, and insisted on buying me a drink while we were both standing at the bar. What a gentleman!

The two of us sat down at a table to chat, although quite quickly a crowd formed, until before long we were out of chairs and standing. I still thought it was a bit early to abandon the bar, but Doro became quite insistent that we should move the crowds over to the Upper Drawing Room at only 7:15. I thought it was still a bit early to go, so I found myself staying at the bar, chatting with S. Also, my friend Rick had promised to join me this evening at the club, so I wanted to stay in the bar until he arrived, otherwise would be know where to look for me? Finally, I felt compelled to go over and check on the crowd in the Upper Drawing Room, and assured that they were okay, dashed back to the bar in the hopes of spotting my friend Rick. As I arrived back at the bar, I found S coming to greet me with another drink for me. What a sweetheart! We were shortly joined by TK, who is actually one of S's best friends, although I couldn't help but note with a laugh that TK had the most enthusiastic greeting for me, leaving S to be greeted with a mere handshake as the second in line. Poor S, I'm even stealing his friends!

We then made our way back into the Upper Drawing Room, where the Head of Inter-Club was there for a brief drink before heading on to the Caledonian Club, where they were also having drinks this evening. Yet, before heading out, the Head of Inter-Club was keen to show me the new logo for his website, which I had been very drunkenly commenting on the last night we were out together, where I had been madly flirting with his friend who never called me back. It was so cute, as he was so obviously trying to impress me with his new business and how he was an independent businessman. Perhaps I paid attention to the wrong guy that night...

My friend Rick finally arrived, and so I introduced him into the crowds, and just circulated with people, chatting for ages (largely with S, I will admit), and partaking in some ham sandwiches that were ordered. S decided to head in for a more proper dinner with TK and a childhood friend of TK's, so I was mostly left chatting with Rick and S's flatmate Nick. Finally, at around 9:30, I decided I wanted to head over to the drinks being held at the Caledonian Club, and figured I would take Rick and Nick along with me. (Yes, I love grabbing random people and taking them to random parties. It's how I roll). I stopped in the dining room where S and TK were still having dinner that I was going to the Cally Club, and S assured me that they would follow in 15-20 minutes, after they'd had their dessert.

I bundled the boys into a cab, dumped us out at the Caledonian, and quickly whisked everyone into the crowded bar. I introduced Rick as, "Hi! This is my friend who works for Google!" which always gets people talking, and then I was off and running talking to loads of people.

To my surprise, H was there, the boy from that crazy night who never called me back. He had the good grace to look a bit sheepish when I greeted him, but mostly I was just surprised to see what he really looked like. No longer blinded by the heady intoxication of that night, I was suddenly struck by the thought, "What on earth did I see in him?" Seriously, not attractive at all. Foppish hair, big lips, bags under his eyes. Looks like he was the one who did me a favour by not calling! Hence, after I said hello, I just let him be for the rest of the evening.

I circulated with the crowds, and discovered some of the interesting gossip of the evening, like the fact that Fiona Fraser (lovely Scottish girl from the Caledonian) has a huge crush on Tom, a guy from the Army & Navy Club who I've constantly felt I had to fend off. Indeed, their heads were bowed in conversation with each other nearly all evening. I had to laugh, thinking, "Who on earth would have a crush on TOM? That's so weird!!" But it once again reassures me that there's a type for everyone...

At midnight, the Cally was closing but the Old Boyfriend (another part of the crowd) didn't want the evening to end, so I ended up with a girl from my running club, Esk (super-tall Scottish guy), Steve (the American guy I hooked up with a year ago) and the Old Boyfriend. We walked to somewhere that turned out to be closed, and in my intoxicated state, I thought it an excellent idea to text S at this point to tell him I was still out and about and that I missed him. (Dumb move number 1 of the evening). As we walked, I found the pace to be quicker than I could manage in my heels, and Steve instinctively giving me his arm so I could hang onto him for support. Okay, now we're actually okay touching each other again? I'm glad we've reached some state of normalcy, but it's almost weird, how intimately I'm holding onto him, after all that happened before.

We got to chatting as we were walking, and I asked him about the situation with Gordon and Melissa, who seem to spend so much time with each other. (Given that he lives with Gordon, I figured he'd have the inside scoop). Particularly after what went down at the Oriental Dinner, I'm curious. He tells me that Gordon has a huge crush on her, but she's the one holding back. Interesting.

We somehow ended up at the 151, the infamous "Dive", which since it was a Wednesday night we all got in for free, no Sophie needed for free entrace! It's fun dancing as always, with good tunes that we all remembered, including one of my favourites, The Killers' "All These Things That I've Done" (better known in my mind as "I've Got Soul But I'm Not A Soldier"). Dancing to that song in a silly drunken haze makes me happy.

I danced with the Old Boyfriend, where it was so obvious that he wanted me (and he did indeed proposition me at the end of the evening, although I just laughed it off as nothing serious. He would have taken it seriously though if I'd even showed the slightest bit of interest). He's not unattractive, but the money issue gets in the way, I'm not sure how much of me is really attracted to him and how much is just because he's rich. I think this is why I prefer poor men and academics overall, because at least then I know why I like them. (Seriously, there is no other way to explain why so many old men get to date 20-something models. Money DOES screw with how attractive you percieve men to be).

In order to get away from the Old Boyfriend, I got talking to Esk, and we actually had a very funny conversation about how he slept with this girl Olivia (who had been at the party that evening) but now can't get rid of her because Super-Social Scottish Guy keeps inviting her to events. Somehow this morphs into a conversation of how the two of us should sleep together, and all I could think of was, "No, but Doro has a crush on you!" Very awkard to have him crushing on me instead. He then tried to guess who I've slept with in Inter-Club, guessing all of the wrong people but hilariously not realising that the reason I won't answer him is that the one guy I've hooked up with is the guy standing right next to me, Steve, the American guy. It's all just comically hilarious at this point... Yet, as I was laughing at his mis-guided attempts to guess my salacious past, I realised I have been ridiculously well-behaved at Inter-Club. Steve was just about my only mis-step, and even that one didn't relaly go anywhere. How dull.

We finally left there at 3 AM, and I just tumbled into a cab while everybody else was trying to sort themselves out. (Where I then was free to check and respond to messages from S. Definitely super-dumb move of the night. Turns out he had texted me at around midnight in response to my previous message saying he was just leaving the club, and of course I needed to text back at 3 AM. Super-dumb move! Someone really just needs to take my phone away from me after a certain hour...

No comments:

Post a Comment