Among the text messages awaiting me in the morning were one from my flatmate, remarking that the date must have gone well (oh, the stories I'll need to tell her later!), and one from S, the chap I'd met last week, asking if we were still on for pizza tonight. I texted him back that indeed we were (after last night's disaster, it seems wise to explore other options, don't you think?) To which he said he was looking forward to it as well, reminding me of how adorably enthusiastic he was.
I made my way down to Putney Bridge station right before 7 PM, where we'd agreed to meet, popping more cold meds on the way. (I did note with somewhat perverse satisfaction that I undoubtedly gave the silly boy my cold last night, which in some weird way serves him right for giving me such a disastrous evening).
As I was standing there waiting for S, you can imagine my surprise when out of the station came Tristan and JG!! It was a wonderful surprise to see them, particularly JG, who I've shared a few passionate encounters with before. (It should be mentioned that Tristan and JG are flatmates who live nearby, which is why I saw them there, so perhaps it wasn't quite as random a surprise as you might imagine). But seeing JG....suddenly a very powerful reminder of what attraction is SUPPOSED to feel like. Kissed him on each cheek, and chatted to the both of them for a bit. They dashed off sooner than I would have liked to leave me alone to wait for my date, although all of a sudden I wished I had a bit more time to talk with them.
Soon enough though, S arrived. We walked along a bit across the river, I talked about how I have run in the area with my running club, and we stopped in at a pub for a drink before dinner. He bought me a glass of wine and we chatted for a bit, although the bar was loud and the conversation struggled along a bit as he talked about his work. He seems to be a very career-driven type, and this move overseas was done as a career-enhancing move before seeing what opportunities come up next. I suppose some people would be very attracted to the driven types, but it's not exactly something I really relate to.
And so as I sat there, bringing all of my usual charm and social skills to the fore (how was I not at all surprised to learn that his nephew was autistic? He seemed to have a touch of that Asberger awkwardness himself), I did think back fondly of the night before, where at least when talking with the silly boy, the conversation always flowed easily. And as I looked into the brown eyes and the objectively attractive boy in front of me, I suddenly remembered a moment with the silly boy the night before, where I'd become convinced I could quite happily just spend hours admiring his shoulders, breathing in the faint heady mix of his cologne, and just nibbling at the delicious point where his neck met his collarbone. Sadly, no such thoughts occurred to me regarding the perfectly nice chap sitting in front of me.
We went on to dinner, where we had some perfectly nice pizza, although nothing too outstandingly great. Still, we had some wine, kept chatting, and overall I felt like I was having a truly nice evening out with a good friend. I did make a point to pay half the bill at the end of the evening, as the whole thing just felt so "friendly", and I sort of wanted to make a point.
He walked with me back to the Tube station, and we parted going for trains in opposite directions. Just a kiss on each cheek, although he held my hand a second too long as we parted. {Sigh!} I could tell that the poor boy was more into me than I was into him, but sometimes, I guess that's just how the cookie crumbles.
So it made me think that maybe I should work on trying to fix things with the silly boy, because at least we've got the fundamental chemistry right, which is so much more than I have with S. Or maybe, I should just spend some time sleeping with JG again. Let's face it, there's one boy at least where, even if I can't stand his smoking, at least the chemistry works just right!
No comments:
Post a Comment