This evening I was due to have drinks with my friend Joel, who is one of my favourite people in the world. The only person who can make me laugh as much as my brother does, he's sometimes hard to get ahold of, but every time we get together it's like no time has passed at all. So we'd agreed to meet for drinks, and I informed Tristan that we'd be getting together if he wanted to join us.
I met up with Joel at the club, and just as always, he made me laugh my head off, even when he was critiquing my dating life, arguing that I don't go enough for nice boys. I worried that he would run off early, as he always does, and so was pleased when Tristan was running late, Joel called his girlfriend to say he wouldn't be home, and stayed around until his girlfriend could join us.
I'm a pretty slow drinker (which is sometimes my saving grace), but in an effort to make sure Joel stayed around, I made sure a new pint was waiting for him every time he returned from the loo, which made him laugh and admonish me that I could read his mind. Far too much fun.
Eventually, after numerous delays, Tristan joined us for a drink, seeming a bit frustrated by his work, but also glad for the opportunity to take a break and have a drink. So we enjoyed spending some time talking with him, and catching up there as well.
Finally Tristan decided to call it a night, but Joel and I were having so much fun, that we decided to settle in with two more drinks by the fire. We weren't there long however, when Joel spotted a familiar face by the bar. "Is that the Master of Magdalene College? Duncan Robinson, is that you?"
Indeed it was the Master, there with his wife! I'm not sure if they had any clue as to who we were, but given that we so obviously knew them, I'm sure they pretty quickly figured out that we were Magdalene alumns. The Master even mentioned how he'd been sorry to miss the recent Magdalene dinner, and hoped that we would schedule another one where he could attend!
I was then surprised when one of the bartenders came out and spoke to the Master (who had taken off his tie at this late point in the evening), and informed him that if he was going to be in the bar, he would need to put his tie on. I almost wanted to ask the bartender, "Don't you know who this IS??" But I guess the strict rules about jackets and ties apply to everyone, even the Master!
So we enjoyed the company and conversation of the Master a bit more, finished up our own drinks (I was really quite tipsy by this point, I'd definitely had one too many), and finally made our ways home. What a lovely evening though, with great company and the delightful bonus of getting to see the Master!
No comments:
Post a Comment