Tuesday, 6 December 2011

The Run with CBDG

It was time for running this evening, and although I didn't really want to go out in the bitter cold for a run, CBDG had made use of our new Facebook-friendship to let me know he was coming this evening, so I promised I would be there too. CBDG, you might remember, I first spoke about in an entry a few weeks ago. About an hour before the run, my phone buzzed to let me know he'd sent me a message, and I worried that it was him flaking out on me (it was cold out!), but luckily it was just a note to say he was leaving the office and would see me soon. Okay dorky, but after how I so rudely ignored him last time, I was looking forward to seeing him and paying more attention to him this time.

I got to the run, and CBDG arrived, looking as cute as ever. Made a beeline for me, and we chatted the entire time before the run. Although I did get a surprise when Matt arrived, who I hadn't seen in far too long. Hugs all around, and a quick catch-up, but for once I was a bit reluctant to talk to Matt as I'd really wanted to pay attention to CBDG this evening.

The run was cold but okay, yet about halfway through I got stuck at a red light and just hopelessly lost behind the group. Eventually gave up on trying to follow the trail near Leicester Square, and just decided to cut straight back to Russell Square. Missed a drinks stop as a result, but at least was able to get back to the pub right about when everybody else returned.

One of the first people back to greet me was Mr Moore, a middle-aged guy (perhaps in his early 40's?) who I've always liked, and for no particular reason have just been fond of among all of the boys in the crowd. So we got to chatting, and he insisted on getting me a drink. Which was kind of a shame when CBDG arrived, as he wanted to buy me a drink too, but Mr Moore was already on the case!

Hence once we had our drinks from the bar, I drew everyone into a shared conversation, with Matt, Mr Moore and CBDG all chatting together. At which point Mr Moore asked me, "Did I hear a rumour that you went to Magdalene College?" When I confirmed it, he shared the stunning news that he was a Magdalene alumn himself! Apparently the last all-male class of Magdalene College, so he lived through the entire transition from it being all-male to co-ed. I was fascinated, and also feeling a bit smug that somebody I'd already liked anyway turned out to be from Magdalene. It's really funny about Magdalene, as I really just like everybody who went there. I don't know what it is about that college, but for some reason Magdalene people all click with me.

I felt bad for therefore going on about Magdalene with CBDG right there, until even Mr Moore seemed to want to shut me up, so I calmed down and just returned my attention to CBDG. Who after Mr Moore left bought me another drink so he could just keep talking to me. And I can't even quite remember all that we talked about, but I found myself just really enjoying being with him. He's got a lovely calming presence.

Okay, so among the things we did talk about was how much he travelled for work (he constantly seems to be on the road and living in hotel rooms), as he's really in London only three days a week at the moment. And also about how when he was at university, he led quite a tame existence as he'd been dating a girl for two out of his three years, but as a result he felt he was rubbish at chatting up girls and asking them out. Jeez, you don't say?

So I don't know if he doesn't suggest anything further if it's because of all of the traveling or because he's not the kind of guy who easily knows how to ask girls out. Yet at least I enjoy how the instant he sees me, he doesn't want to leave my side, and it's just so obvious that I'm the one girl he wants to talk to. And sure, I'm not sure if we're intellectually enough on a level for it to work out. But I sometimes wonder, "Why are we always waiting for things to be perfect? Why don't we sometimes just take a leap, and take a chance, even if it doesn't quite seem like the stars are aligned?"

Too soon, CBDG had to go, as he had a 5 AM start the next day. So I gave him a kiss on each cheek, and then went to chat for a bit with Kitty and Sthweetheart. Sthweetheart told us that apparently his ex-wife had e-mailed him today to say he was getting remarried. And you could tell he was a bit shaken up by it, as even though he explained, "It's not that I want to be with her anymore at all, but it's strange that she's moving on." Of course my whole reaction to the story was, "Sthweetheart was married?" Somehow, I just can't picture it.

Finally it was time to head home, and I walked back to the Tube, still finding myself smiling when I thought about a certain cute boy I'd seen tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment