I was out this evening at the house-party of an old friend from Oxford who I hadn't seen in a while, the infamous Dr T. He used to live just a two-minute walk down the street from me, and now has moved clear across the other side of town.
It was quite a journey to get there (train all of the way to Liverpool Street, then a bus), but after an hour, I found myself right at Dr T's front door. I was buzzed in, and came upstairs to find Dr T and four others all seated in tables in a circle in the main room of the flat.
At first I was a bit amazed that Dr T had a one-bedroom flat, such a step up from my little studio, which made me wonder if there might be real advantages to living in East London. Yet, as I pondered it a bit more, despite the separate bedroom and the sleek, modern living/kitchen area, I realised he had no room for a couch and the whole place was a bit cramped, really. Made me once again appreciate my spacious (if one-room) studio.
Everyone was seated in chairs in a circle, and I found myself talking to a Dutch couple where the woman was 8-months pregnant, who were very nice. As well there was Dr T's former flatmate (who I remembered best from this crazy night out back in February 2010), who I was surprised to learn was now engaged with a baby due in April! Quite a difference from when I last remembered meeting him...
Dr T as well turned out now to have a serious girlfriend (of what duration, I am not sure, as we hadn't caught up in a while), but who was serious enough to have gone on a trip to Barcelona with him for his birthday, where they had acquired a whole leg of Iberian black-footed pig AKA Pata Negra jamon, which was the ostensible reason for this party, for us to all gather together to eat this thing.
Dr T kindly accepted my offer of wine, but put it aside to keep all of our glasses filled all evening with prossecco, and then later some very nice sherry. Add onto that the olives, artesnal bread, and 3-year aged Parma ham, and I have to say, from a food perspective the party was top-notch!
Although, not having known about either Dr T's girlfriend or his flatmate's engagement, my head was spinning a bit upon discovery of this news. (Particularly as the girl was It feels like just yesterday I was out with the two of them, having this absolutely crazy night out, and doing the awkward attraction dance with Dr T. It never would have worked out anyway, and I much prefer having him as a friend, but it was still a bit of a shock to see how much their lives have moved on, leaving me thinking, "What on earth have I been doing all this time?" It really feels like just yesterday all three of us were single and out in the lash. I've met so many people since then, had so many little dalliances, and yet nothing really moves forwards. It's not even like I'm experiencing regret for what I passed up on (it NEVER would have worked), but it does make me ask myself, "What am I really doing here?"
Had a nice enough chatting with the small crowd, but when everyone started to leave around 11 PM, I went with the momentum of the crowds, and joined them in their departure, even as it made it a bit of an early night for me. Nice to see Dr T again, anyway...
No comments:
Post a Comment