Thursday, 1 December 2011

Run-ins While Shopping

I was supposed to go out to a drinks party at the club tonight, although after last night's experience, I'd kind of had enough of drinks parties at the club. Particularly as I figured I needed a new dress for the Christmas ball and some accessories for the 1920's ball at the weekend, why not take a night off to go shopping?

So I went out to Primark and TK Maxx, where I found a gorgeous ivory creme coloured dress on the double-discount rack, going for £27. And when I tried it on, of course it framed my bust perfectly and had some artful draped folds to hide my mid-section. How perfect. I did worry for a bit about buying a dress that was white (did it look too much like a wedding gown?) but then figured it was too perfect on such a sale to pass up. And at floor-length, it satisfied my need for a real ballgown that fits. I guess I'll just have to be careful not to drink red wine while wearing it!

Then, as I was standing just flipping through some of the dress racks, I heard an incredibly familiar voice coming from just off to my right. I laughed to myself, because I'd been trying to get together with an old co-worker for weeks now, and I could swear the voice sounded just like hers. So you can imagine my surprise when I turned around and it was indeed her!

Gosh I must have looked a fright (I had not bothered to shower this morning, and probably still had some smudged eye-makeup from last night), but we had a good chat and catch-up, and agreed we were looking forward to seeing each other more properly for drinks on Wednesday.

And as her parting gift, she picked up a dress that she said would be too formal for any events she went to, but urged me to try it on. And wouldn't you know it, but the dress turned out to look fabulous and fit absolutely perfectly? So while I'd only gone in for one dress, it turns out I left with two. What a good night of shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment