Tuesday, 13 December 2011

A Reunion Run


This evening, I almost hoped that my train would be delayed, so I would have an excuse for skipping this run, as it was so cold outside! Yet it was just my luck that even after a delay I arrived at the pub on time, so there was nothing for it but to go for the run. On the upside however, both Matt and Cookie were there, so I was excited for the opportunity to catch up with some of my favourite old friends.

The run had been set by Princess, and it was actually quite a funny one. Although the winds were bitingly cold (how I wish I had a wind-breaker!) the checks were marked with funny things we were supposed to do while searching for the next arrow, like "Hop", "Hold Hands", "No Arms" or "Funky Chicken". When we got to the "Hold Hands" one, we ended up playing a round of "Ring Around the Rosie", except all of the British kids sang different words from what I remember growing up!

When I wasn't trying to do those funny things, I was huddled up with Matt, as we kept hugging each other in an effort to stay warm. Gosh it was cold out there! I fell behind the group at the very end, but when I turned the corner by the Tube station, indicating that the pub was very close by, I saw Matt standing in the middle of the street waiting for me. What a guy, waiting for me so I wouldn't have to run back by myself! He really is the best.

When I got back to the pub, I bought drinks for both Matt and Cookie (as I'm sure I owed them a few), which then turned into a sequence of round-buying where we each ended up drinking five pints. Yikes! So much for having a quiet early night! But it was so much fun to talk to them and catch up on just things here and there, about wedding planning and boys and jobs and just all the bits and pieces that make up our lives.

Finally at the end of the evening (far too late!), I took the train home with Princess, continuing a discussion I'd been having with the Young Scotsman yesterday, about all of the "nice guys" we know who don't seem to have any luck with the ladies. The Young Scotsman was particularly concerned about his new flatmate, the former Head of Inter-Club, who I have to admit is a really nice guy. And yet...terrible dancer, always laughs at awkward things, and just doesn't have the kind of charm that sweeps girls off their feet.

The Young Scotsman however, seemed almost irate about this, that a guy who is such a sweet, nice, decent guy should be so lonely. (And that surprised me, how lonely he claimed the former Head of Inter-Club is). I have to admit, sometimes it just doesn't seem fair that nice guys get so frequently overlooked.

And yet, Princess confirmed my suspicion that it is worse to date such guys out of a misplaced desire to flatter one's ego or lead them on. He seemed very concerned about a friend of his, who he still feels was messed around by another girl we both know. Admittedly, this friend now has a lovely girlfriend, so I guess it all worked out in the end, but he still could have dealt with a little less heartache along the way.

Yet, I think we've all learned a few lessons in how to treat nice people, as we haven't even always been the best to each other. Matters of the heart are funny like that. And so I gave Princess a kiss on the lips, and bid him goodnight, one of the less classically "nice guys", but yet who irritatingly seems to do fine by the ladies anyway...

No comments:

Post a Comment