
I spent the day frantically shopping, as I figured I needed something to make my costume for the 1920's ball I'm going to with the Young Dutchman tomorrow, and I was seeing Sophie and her husband this evening. I'd been wanting to get them a wedding present (almost the first couple ever I've seriously wanted to buy a present for), and so I figured I needed to keep going around until I found something to buy them. After two hours of shopping (more than I really have endurance for!) I found some stupidly expensive champagne glasses at House of Fraser on 50% off that were absolutely perfect. No idea why anybody would ever spend that much on hand-blown champagne glasses, but it seemed like an ideal wedding present for them.
Got a message from my friend Sara in the afternoon, asking if I'd be up for meeting for drinks early before dinner. Given that it had been ages since I'd caught up with her, I figured this was a pretty good opportunity. So although I had to rush doing my hair and make-up, I made it out in time to join her for drinks in the bar at 6:15 PM.
Dinner started at 7:30, although the staff seemed quite unprepared for us. Took ages to get our champagne and to get the heat in the room turned on, although once we did we seemed to settle into easy conversation.

I found myself chatting with Sophie's husband, who I have only ever gotten to know since he became engaged to Sophie, but I have to admit I really like him. Good choice, Sophie! He's funny and entertaining, and is always very sweet to me as one of Sophie's friends. As I was chatting with him, we were talking about how the crowd had known each other at their wedding, and I mentioned that perhaps the only person I hadn't known previously was Tristan's flatmate. (Okay, so maybe I wanted to bring him up on purpose. Even though the guy barely seemed to spare two words for me, I can't quite get him out of my head). To which Sophie's husband remarked to me, "You know, he's very nice, very single, and very much looking for a girlfriend." Oh really?
So I told Sophie's husband about how I'd met him, and how I'd found him to be very nice, but how he'd never gotten in touch. To which Sophie's husband explained to me that the reason such an attractive, nice, intelligent, funny guy was single was that he was rubbish at asking girls out. {Sigh!} Suddenly it makes sense that he's friends with Tristan, who I always think should be killing it with the ladies, except for that he somehow never seems to know how to close the deal. And he always just ends up as friends with a lot of girls.
Sophie's husband seemed to hope that perhaps this guy could join us for drinks later, although sadly he turned out to be out with Tristan and JG. But it was sweet that Sophie's husband seemed to think that we would make a good match and might be a bit of a cheerleader for us. Who knows what the future might hold...

Dinner was enjoyable, with good conversation, and of course with Helen present it eventually turned into a discussion of sex toys (apparently her boyfriend's brother manufactures the "Little Rooster", a "sensual alarm clock"). As well we spent quite a bit of time discussing the advantages and disadvantages of running prostitution rings and similarly scandalous matters.
After dinner we retired downstairs to the billiards room, where we played a round of snooker. I was absolutely rubbish at it, and it made me think I should practice more. There was quite a bit of hilarity however, as Helen climbed on the table to make certain shots (the table was quite big) and as we listened to the rousing singing of some men at an event next door. I couldn't figure out if any part of the club was connected down there, which made me wonder who on earth the men were and what their group was.

I did find myself a bit bored at one point, so I texted Joel, which got me a bit of a telling off from Sophie's husband ("Stop texting random men!") to which I protested I was only texting Joel. Which did indeed seem to mollify everyone ("Oh, it's only Joel then"), which made me weirdly slightly indignant on Joel's behalf. I mean, it is only Joel, but still..

Finally at the end of the evening the others were thinking of going elsewhere to another bar, but it was nearly midnight and I was tired, so along with Sara headed home. The port was going to kill my head in the morning, so wanted to get some sleep if I could!
No comments:
Post a Comment