Thursday, 29 December 2011

Guide to Boys

While I was at home over Christmas, my friend Michelle pointed out to me that with all of the stories I tell, it's sometimes hard to keep all of the boys straight. So for your reference, I've decided to put together a short "Guide to Boys", to help you with all of the stories. Apologies if I've missed any significant players here, but hopefully this short guide will help you keep them all straight.


The Young Dutchman
The love of my life, the funniest, wittiest, dearest, most wonderful boy I know. If I were to ever find a version of him who was 10 years older, I'd marry him in a heartbeat (even though he can't cook and would undoubtedly cheat, as he loves sleeping around too much). Alas, he is what he is, which is far too young for me, but who I think teaches me what relationships should be like, with his unwavering friendship and incredible love for me. I find I'm never bored of his company, and amazed that he never seems to tire of mine. Currently doing a Master's Degree at Oxford, but pops back to London to see me fairly frequently. Still, I find I miss him lots.







Joel
My other great love. No monikers here, for Joel is simply my most long-standing, truest friend. The one man who can make me laugh so hard I pee my pants, whose wisdom and insight I most treasure, and who most amazingly seems to find me a reliable constant in his life as well. I never see him as often as I'd like, but I can count on my phone to frequently ring out of the blue and Joel to be on the other end of the line, making me smile. Has a messed-up personal life, but I enjoy spectating and providing sound advice where I can. Works too hard, but devotes his free time to worrying about me and trying to find me a nice boy.







The Wild Welshman
A boy I used to have a crush on when I first met him, and I thought he might have a crush on me, but after months went by without him making a move, it settled into a very solid friendship. He's got a girlfriend now, and seems to find humour in my dating adventures. We went to Berlin together in the summer, and he'll be moving to Berlin for six months in April as part of his work (as a lawyer who translates legal documents in English and German). Still always one of my favourite people to grab a drink with, who seems to have an uncanny ability to read my mind sometimes.







Oxford Boy
Sure, there was an attraction there at the start, but there was sort of that one missed moment out on the terrace when we first met, and then we've sort of slipped into friendship. Also can't seem to decide if he really wants me or Caroline, so with other interests elsewhere, I'm happy to concede and just have him as a friend, even one with still mild undercurrents of flirtation. I like how he makes me laugh, how he obviously is always thrilled to see me, and how he's clever enough to really get what I'm talking about. I think he'll be sticking around...







Matt
Another great friend, who I actually met through his girlfriend, a super-sweet American girl who I adore. Although funny enough, I became better friends with Matt, who is my own age (the girlfriend is eight years younger) and so I think we connect on more of a level as peers. One person I am always thrilled to see and who I never tire of talking to, and who has that great sense that I'm his favourite person too. Definitely would love to find his clone and date that guy!




Dr T
Danish guy, a friend from my program at Oxford, he used to live near me, and we used to have great fun going out together. We once hooked up, but it never would have worked. He's a crazy-liberal-artistic type, in love with East London, recreational drug use, owning outlandish half-ton sculptures, and just leaping off cliffs that I would fear to peer over. Regardless of the fact that we never worked as a romance, he's one of those boundary-pushing friends I'm glad to still count in the roster.











Cute But Dumb Guy (CBDG)
The clue is in the name. I met this chap through the running club, and while he's never seemed that clever, he's easy on the eyes and seems to adore my company. Given that he laughs at my jokes and buys me drinks, I don't fight it too much. He actually lives in Norfolk and only comes to London occasionally for work (doing transport logistics for the Olympics). I suspect that this is why he never asks me out (the logistics are just not in our favour), or maybe it's because he's actually rather shy and sweet despite his good looks. I don't worry about it much however, and just enjoy the treat of the company of my "mimbo" whenever he's around to make me feel all warm and fuzzy when he smiles at me.





Princess
How can anybody not love Princess? The Silver Fox is one of those super-friendly, cheerful guys who just oozes charisma. Yes, to be fair, he's an absolute man-whore who loves to sleep around (and would love to sleep with me too), but I just enjoy his lovely flirtations, his sweet kisses, and his always genuine enthusiasm to see me, a great old friend. He's the reason I joined the running club, and is always quite understanding of my slow pace. He even gave me my club nickname, and given what a nice name it was compared to some you see, you know he always has a soft spot for me. As I do for him.









My Friend From Kindergarten
Good-looking, smart, funny, rich, successful, clever, witty....and 5'2" tall. My friend from Kindergarten is someone I've known since I was four years old, and we have the wonderful ease of understanding that comes from having grown up together. We get along so well, our mutual friend from high school who visits occasionally thinks the two of us should date. And I have to admit, I enjoy his company so much, I sometimes wonder if something is there. Yet at other times, there's his conservative politics, his refusal to go anywhere that he can't wear trainers, and his incredible fondness for "guys" activities, like Fantasy Football and poker games. Love him, but not entirely sure how well we'd actually suit.






The Young Scotsman
If the Young Scotsman didn't smoke, I would be in serious trouble. Tall, good-looking, funny, intelligent, and a guy who finds me attractive? It's a hard combination to beat. Yet while I'm happy enough to have him in my bed occasionally, his youth and his smoking make him just absolutely unsuitable for anything long-term. Still, he's loyal to his friends, and just one of those sweet young guys who you feel is going to be good for somebody someday. I probably think of him far too much as it is (the risk you take when sleeping with a boy, they tend to get to you), so sadly I must constantly remind myself, he is not for me...






Super Social Scottish Guy
A wonderful, kind, polite, real gentleman of the club scene, has a desperate crush on me which I just sadly do not return. Is it his short stature, his profuse sweating, or something else that just makes it impossible for me to imagine getting naked with him? So I always try to graciously dodge the bullet of him trying to subtly hint that we should get together, grateful for once for the British reserve that means he will never ask me out. Yet since he so adores me, I can always rest assured of having plenty of photos taken of me by the end of the evening. I suppose boys with hopeless crushes do have their advantages.







(Former) Head of Inter-Club
Another one of these really "nice" boys who just doesn't seem to have any luck with the ladies, and who I fear has quite a bit of a crush on me as well. It makes me feel guilty, because he's really sweet, charming, concerned, and actually quite rich as well. Is it his two-left feet when it comes to dancing? His funny laugh which is insanely irritating? His incredible awkwardness at times? Absolutely one of those guys who deserves a great girl and I feel crushing guilt over the fact that I don't think it's me. Maybe I should work harder at finding a good girl for him. He deserves one.




The Norwegian
A friend of the Young Dutchman's, I met him one night randomly, and acting on the attraction (damn he's good-looking), ended up kissing him that evening. Although I gave him my number, given that he lives in Cambridge I didn't really expect him to call. So I wasn't really bothered when he didn't, but I WAS bothered when I heard about our dalliance from others later. He seems to still like me and realise he's screwed up, but doesn't quite know how to fix it now. He's got an interesting background (studying Computer Science at Cambridge), even if he is a somewhat dull conversationalist). Quite good-looking, but also smokes, so not sure if this one is salvageable anyway...




Navy Boy
An incredibly tall (well over 6'5") guy who is (duh) in the Navy. For the longest time I had assumed he was dating a girl I always saw him with, and so was quite surprised recently to learn that they are just good friends. Each of them is in fact single, although I doubt I was the only person to make this mistaken assumption. In retrospect, I now realise that perhaps all of the attention he was paying to me was not just because I was a merely a friendly face. Sometimes seems a bit dull for my taste, but I suppose I should give him a chance. I guess we'll see how it all turns out...








Witty Windsor Boy
When I first met this boy, what struck me about him (in addition to how cute he was), was how quick-witted he was. Knowing that is my own talent, I set out to match wits with him, and he quickly sat up and took notice of me. I concluded at the start that he was much too good-looking and charming to be trusted, as he's probably used to having any girl he wants. So while I treated him with a certain degree of suspicion, I've found that he prefers my company due to my clever nature. Sophie has a huge crush on him (which I don't quite think he returns), and he's young and off to Dubai soon anyway. So not much there, but I do always enjoy the battle of wits with him!







The American (Guy Who I Once Hooked Up With)
On the night I met him, I was feeling frisky and he was conveniently forgetting the fact that he had a girlfriend (something I didn't know at the time). Once I learned that, I've never been tempted again, but we always see each other socially and hence rub along fairly well. I find with such a small social crowd, you need to move past these embarassing moments, and just enjoy the things you do like about people, which here include a shared cultural background and generally shared interests. I wish he was a better man, but I'll be friends with him for the man that he is.








Will
One of those "super nice guys" that I feared for a while had a crush on me, which would have been terrible because although there is no reason NOT to like Will, I just never felt much for him. It seems silly that good and clever chat is such a requirement for me, but Will always just has this nasal-sounding voice and not too much to contribute sometimes, but is really overall quite a decent bloke. So I was relieved when recently the Young Dutchman told me that he had a crush on someone else, as it sort of takes the pressure off of me. Must do what I can to encourage this one, as he's a good guy who deserves a nice girl.







Piers
Ah, Piers! One more of those "nice guys who never seems to get the girl", although in his case it's because he's deathly, amazingly, insufferably, incredibly dull. I sort of hope Piers finds a girl because he's overall a really sweet guy who deserves to find someone nice. Yet on the other hand, I really wish I knew how to make him less boring. Let's just hope that there's some special girl out there who is into what Piers has to offer. Because all of those women out there who complain about how there are no nice guys out there? Well, they obviously have never met anyone as sweet and as harmless as Piers.







Tristan
I am repeatedly surprised when I show up to events, and discover that Tristan is there. I think the two of us became friends entirely because it turns out that we have all the same friends in common. So much so that we were asked recently how we became friends, and we had honestly no idea. It's just as though we always were. I've actually thought at times how easy it would be to date Tristan (he's so sweet, genuine, and such a great guy), but I have never gotten ANY indication of interest from him. So why ruin a good thing? But definitely, the kind of guy I'd like to end up with...






The South African
This is as opposed to the Tall South African (different guy - see below), this one is a member of the Lansdowne who I flirted a lot with when I first met him, and he seems to like me a lot, but it never really goes anywhere. Still, who doesn't like a friendly face who is always glad to see them, who always gives you a wink and a smile and is glad to see you? Who knows if this one will ever go anywhere, but I always enjoy our conversations about the importance of family, and living abroad. Always puts a smile on my face when I see him.








Tall South African
As the name implies, he is tall. Probably about 6'6" tall. Not much more to say about him, but all of the relevant stories about him take place over the next few days, and I'm sure you wanted to have a face to put to a name.

No comments:

Post a Comment