I've been trying to figure out a time for myself, Tristan and Doro to get together for drinks, and after realising that I'd spoken to Joel several times this past week without him giving me an answer on when he was free, I started harassing him via e-mail. Which got me a call right as I was wrapping up my workday, as we went through his schedule and I figured out that it was all rubbish from now until Christmas. Such a pity, but I figure the two of us will find time at some point... He asked me about my love life, so I told him about the whole deal with Oxford Boy, and how I can't figure out what I did wrong there. How was it going so well, and then suddenly going to badly? Joel told me not to worry about it, that it was probably nothing I did, and it was all in the boy's head. Not like I was really worried, but it's always nice to get validation from Joel. He promised to call me before he left for Greece at the weekend, so perhaps he can advise me more then.
So I got to the run, and there was no sign of Oxford Boy, but I amused myself by talking to other people as everyone was arriving. But I still got the shock of my life when I was tapped on the shoulder, and when I turned around, saw a face I hadn't seen in months! It was Cute-But-Dumb-Guy!! CBDB was a guy who had been coming to the hash over the summer, a guy who actually lived in Norwich but who kept coming down to London during the week to work on projects for the London Olympics. (I should reference entries from the summer where he was so sweet and doted on me, but alas I was terrible about writing for a bit there). And as the name implies, I found him to be very cute, but rather dumb. Yet, for whatever reason, he seemed to enjoy talking to me, and although he didn't have the witty banter of a lot of guys, he laughed at all of my jokes and my stories, and seemed to enjoy just being near me. And I realised why lots of men like bimbos, good-looking girls who laugh at their jokes and dote attention on them. It's actually rather nice. And so I have to admit, I enjoy the company of CBDB as entertainment for the evening.
Yet it was funny, when CBDG first appeared out of nowhere like that, it took me a good couple of seconds to figure out why on earth this cute guy was so excitedly greeting me. I'm normally so good with names and faces, but I almost blanked there for a bit, and only as I faked it, pretending I knew who he was, did it all slowly come back to me. Even, thank goodness, his name after a minute or two. (I hope he didn't notice that I forgot!)
And so, even without Oxford Boy, I figured maybe this would just turn out to be a good, chill evening hanging with CBDG. After all, I do like him, he seems to love to talk to me, and did I mention that he's cute? But as we were in the outdoor circle, just getting ready to head off on the run, Oxford Boy turned up, racing to drop off his stuff to be ready to go for the run. And as he saw me as we slowly jogged out, he gave me a big hug and kiss, and we went the first couple of paces out of the pub with our arms wrapped around each other. Even as we started running, he kept pace with me, obviously wanted to spend time with me for a bit. (Only thing is that he's a MUCH faster runner than I am, so there is no way I could keep that pace for long!) So maybe we're all good?
Overall it was a good run, where we went up hills to admire the view from the top of Primrose Hill, and even went across the famous crosswalk at Abbey Road (from the Beatles). Eventually we returned to the pub, where I couldn't even spot Oxford Boy, but did get myself involved for a bit in conversation with his very tall friend who had shown up, who I'd met once before (on the very first evening I met Oxford Boy). He's sweet, but a bit dull, so I found an excuse to depart temporarily, and move on to conversation with CBDG, who actually was quite entertaining as he told me about all of the logistical problems involved with arranging parking for everyone for the Olympics.
It came time for us to move outside for the circle, at which point CBDG paused and asked for my e-mail so that we could connect on Facebook. Of course, giving my Facebook e-mail revealed that I'd gone to Oxford, which seemed to startle CBDG for a moment. I hope that doesn't put him off.
We then moved outside but it was cold out, so I ran back inside to grab my fleece. Instead of returning to CBDG's side for the circle, I stood with Oxford Boy because I hadn't had a chance to talk to him all evening. In retrospect that was a mistake, because I didn't really get a chance to talk to Oxford Boy, I think CBDG felt slighted, and Oxford Boy was kind of annoying anyway.
When we returned inside, CBDG left shortly afterwards, although at least I managed to spot him going and say good-bye. And we're going to be FB friends now, right?
Now that CBDG was gone, I went over to join Oxford Boy and Sthweetheart in conversation, and as we sat there chatting I realised that Oxford Boy was actually rather irritating. He kept pestering Sthweetheart to share some of his dinner, which Sthweetheart rightly refused (hey, it was his), but as soon as Oxford Boy wandered off in search of some chips, Stheweetheart proceeded to feed me dinner from his plate. Not that I was really starving, but I was somewhat hungry, and so happy to have dinner. Mostly though, I was feeling like an idiot for not paying more attention to CBDG while he was there.
A little while after that, Oxford Boy and his friend decided to leave. I felt like now was probably a good time to leave as well, so I should join them as they walked to the station, but for some reason I wanted to stay. Perhaps slightly miffed at Oxford Boy for being so irritating, and for taking me away from the guy I should have been paying attention to? So they left, and I stayed.
Half an hour later, I felt like a genius for staying, as Kitty and Princess randomly showed up. I tackled Princess from behind and gave him a big hug, as I was really genuinely happy to see him. Just was delighted, for some reason.
I also chatted to Kitty for a bit, and the big news was that apparently she has a boyfriend now. The story is really romantic, as Sthweetheart related it to me. Apparently Kitty and her cousin had gone out for a drink in their neighbourhood, and at the bar they went to there was nowhere to sit, except at the end of a table with these two guys. Kitty's cousin hit it off with one of the guys, while Kitty did with the other one. Later on, Kitty texted the guy her cousin had been hitting on (as her cousin more cleverly had gotten the guy's number), which led to that guy passing Kitty's number on to his mate, and then asking Kitty out. I had not realised Sweetheart and Kitty were so close just because they are neighbours, which is how this whole story came out. Sweetheart gives me some valuable advice, where he points out the guy only called Kitty because he knew there was a connection, he wasn't coming out of nowhere. You have to give boys that kind of encouragement. Good point.
Finally I headed home at closing time at 11:30 AM, with Lindsey J hanging onto me the whole way back to the Tube. Somewhat because it was chilly out, but also because I think Lindsey is becoming closer to me, a fellow American who remembers her name. When we got to Camden Town, I parted from Kitty and Princess, and I didn't kiss Princess on the lips (as is our usual pattern) but didn't even think about it until later. I wonder why that was.
Once I got home, I found CBDG on Facebook and sent him a friend request, which he accepted in the morning but made no further response to. Damn. I definitely mis-played that one. Hopefully I can make up for it later...
No comments:
Post a Comment