At last Tuesday's run, Oxford Boy remembered that we work in the same area, so I went into the office to meet him for lunch. (On a side note, this guy sitting near me at the office happened to need some info I had, so going into the office worked out from an actual work perspective. Bonus!)
Even though I hadn't heard from him, I headed to the pub where we said we'd meet. He was late, but I got a Diet Coke and waited at the bar. Turns out he HAD been e-mailing me, warning that he'd be a few minutes late, but my spam folder at work was a bit hyper-active!
As per usual, I was a bit blown away by how good he looks in a suit. As we ate lunch, he kept putting his glasses on just to read the menu, which reminded me of this guy I know who does that. Can't see, but refuses to wear his glasses. In truth, I think Oxford Boy should just go for the glasses, as with all things he looks ridiculously good and smart when he's wearing them.
I was worried how we'd fare without any alcohol to help smooth over the rough edges of our conversation, as that had pretty much been what had destroyed my date with the dentist boy and made it so awkward. Yet for the most part the conversation really flowed, and we kept laughing all of the time, so it was a really enjoyable afternoon. I insisted on paying £10 towards my lunch (I've yet to pay for anything with Oxford Boy), but he picked up more of the tab, so perhaps it was still all good...
He told me to let him know if I was going to this house party we had both been invited to later, and I promised him I would, but first I had to meet Joel for drinks after work. He had after work plans too, but said maybe we'd see each other later.
I had difficulty leaving the office on time, but figured since I was meeting Joel for drinks, that would be okay (as Joel is always late). Hence, you can imagine my surprise when I emerged from Underground at Green Park, to discover a text from Joel saying he was already there, exactly at 6 PM. Joel is NEVER on time!
So I dashed to the club as quickly as I could, arriving 10 minutes late to find Joel standing outside. He gave me his wallet to pay for drinks while he stopped at the facilities, which I joked with the bartender was a foolish idea. But I think it charming that Joel just hands over his wallet, so sure that he needs to be the man and pay for me.
We engaged in our usual banter, insulting each other's dating lives, while I explained my theory that he just gets swept along into relationships, without ever really charting his own course. He kept laughing and dodging the questions, which is my usual indication that I'm right.
We got into a bizarre argument about money, savings, and banks, where I revealed I didn't understand the concept of an "overdraft". Joel told me that it was a certain amount that the bank would allow you to spend even when your account was empty, which didn't make any sense to me. Why not use your credit card? Why would the bank do that? Why not just have it paid out of your savings account? And Joel seemed just as frustrated with me, not understanding that some people don't have savings, with him arguing that on some level, my savings were inherited (as my parents paid me an allowance when I was little that I diligently saved). It was so weird, as we were talking to each other as though we were on different planets. Which in a sense, we were...
After a while I was surprised when we were joined by Karishma, who Joel had (re)met back when we were having drinks at this same bar back in September. They'd become Facebook friends (after I told Joel who on earth this random friend request was from), and apparently had gotten into a discussion where Joel had invited her to join us this evening. No wonder he was so insistent on meeting here for drinks! Random, but cool.
After I plopped a second bottle of wine down on the table, the conversation veered into some dodgy territory (discussing how smoking makes men "taste" bad), which seems to surprise Joel, which amused me. Joel always seems to think I'm so sweet and innocent, which is mostly true although with some notable exceptions. Joel suddenly up and left at 8:30 to go to some house party, leaving me to chat with Karishma. At one point she asked me why the two of us aren't together, as we're obviously so close and have such good banter. That amused me, as I'm sure a lot of people think that, totally leaving out the fact that Joel is still currently dating someone else. Sure, he doesn't want to be, but until Joel figures out what he really wants out of life and learns to steer his own ship, I'm not going to get caught up to be dashed on the rocks.
Karishma then wanted to go get some dinner, but I figured I might as well now go to this party with Oxford Boy. So I nipped downstairs to visit facilities before heading out, when I got a call from Joel. Luckily I was in the business suite, so I was able to actually chat to him a bit as he thanked me for a lovely evening. The conversation then became a bit strange, as while talking to me he ran into an old friend of his on the street, and I mentioned that Karishma had asked why we're not together. I just said it because I found it funny (it's kind of ridiculous, when you think about it), but I wonder if that freaked him out? Oh well, we parted hurriedly, with promises to get together again next Friday.
Outside the club I texted Oxford Boy, and he texted back to say I should come join him and his friends where they're having dinner. As they were just over in SoHo, I walked over there, and managed to find them in a restaurant just as they're paying up. I chatted to him, his gay best friend, and this random female friend of theirs who was over from Dublin for the weekend, complete still with her suitcase.
We left the restaurant, and I thought at this point we would go on to the house party, but they then decided to go on to bar at Wahaca. Oxford Boy gets me drinks (I love how he always pays), and it's loud in the bar, but I have fun chatting with his friends. I figure we're just going to hang there, but at 11 PM, Oxford Boy asks if we're going to this house party. Now? Okay, sure, why not?
I take his arm to make it through the bustling crowds Leicester Square, kind of annoyed that I have to ask, as he doesn't automatically realise that's what I need. Then I think to myself, "THIS is what I'm complaining about?" Jeez, my standards are high when it comes to men.
We make it to Tufnell Park at midnight, where to not arrive empty handed, we stop at an off-licence where he buys a bottle of vodka for us to bring as our housewarming present, and then we walk the not inconsiderable distance to the party. Again, he fails to give me his arm, and I struggle along in heels, as my feet are absolutely killing me. But we make it to the party, which is still going strong. I wonder if anybody noticed we arrived together, but I pretty quickly ditched him to talk to Caroline and hang out with other people.
Around 4 AM, it was time to go home, as the party was dying. However when I turned on my phone to call for a cab, it was completely dead. I knew iPhones had short battery lives, but this was ridiculous! But Oxford Boy came through for me and called a cab for me on his phone, the sweetheart. When I then mentioned that I would have to get the cabbie to stop for cash on the way home (I had only £5 on me), he then just handed me £20 cash from his wallet. Then, while we waited for our cabs to arrive, he pulled out a guitar and started randomly singing songs to me, including the "Four Chords Song", which just made me laugh my head off when I recognised it.
Our cabs arrived, and I headed off into mine, listening to the driver rant about The Knowledge all of the way home. (I think the reason he hasn't passed the exam yet is that most London cabbies know how to make more pleasant conversation!) Got home and texted him that I was home safely, and said I would see him on Sunday...
No comments:
Post a Comment