Zuzana is back!!
Only briefly, but we'll take what we can get. She was in town on a quick visit, and so had booked a table at this random club near Leicester Square, so everyone could just all meet up together at once.
It took me ages to find them in the labyrinthine maze of rooms, but eventually I spotted John at the bar, and gave him a hug and a kiss and then joined everyone else at the table. I was surprised to see Dom there, given that I knew he and Tara had broken up, and they seemed quite friendly as she gave him a hug and a kiss good-bye when he left early. Yet when I checked with Lex later he assured me, "Oh, they're definitely still broken up. Trust me on that one." Okay then.
Mostly, it was just a treat to see Zu again. Some of her stories about life in Abu Dhabi were fascinating, things I hadn't even considered about the place. Like for instance, she and John can't hold hands when they go out, or display any sort of public affection for one another. So she said when they got to Heathrow she was super-excited, saying, "We can hold hands!" Although they seem to do well having somewhat of a "normal" life there, it's funny how the culture impacts them. Like for instance the work week is Sunday-Thursday, so the "weekend" is actually Friday and Saturday, and it's back to work on Sunday.
Ramadan, of course, was a big one, and so they just decided to get the heck out of town for that one. Apparently during Ramadan people can't eat or drink (even water!) all day, which sounds just idiotic in that heat. So of course people are delirious and fainting all of the time, and apparently right before sundown (when everyone can go home and eat) is the worst time for accidents, as everyone is faint and light-headed from the lack of food and water and are just racing to get home and have some food. In truth, the more I heard about it, the more idiotic Ramadan sounds as a holiday. Zu was even saying that when she went to the gym, she had to hide her water bottle in a plastic bag, as though she were some sort of alcoholic!
Zu has gained some weight, although in truth it looks good on her, sort of happy, contented weight. It was funny though, as she was one of the first to point it out, "I've gained so much weight in Abu Dhabi! The scale doesn't lie!" And I just had almost laugh with relief, thinking, "Oh good, you KNEW about that!" She blames the fact that they drive everywhere, and that all social occasions revolve around food. They have a gym in their building, and she says she's quite dedicated to going, but it's like all of the driving and food socializing is more than any amount of exercise can overcome.
Yet on the whole she seems happy, which is the most important thing. Of course, I doubt that she and John want to stay there long-term, and they do miss their friends in London. John was taking a week off, whilst Zu was managing a three week trip since she was changing jobs, and was just taking a bit of a gap in-between.
It was funny after a bit, we encountered a stag do coming around with a guy who had a series of challenges to complete, mostly getting people to write on his shirt. One of the challenges was to get the lip imprints of five girls on the shirt, which I think he thought would take ages, but he didn't count on running into a whole bunch of hash people! Kitty got out a tube of lip gloss, and in short order all of us had taken turns (me too!) kissing this guy's shirt.
When it was nearly 11 though, despite that everyone else was going strong, I had to admit that I was tired and ready to head home. So I made my good-byes, and promised Zu I'd see her again soon! It has to have been the best part of the day, seeing my old friend again, and realising how much I miss her!
No comments:
Post a Comment