When I got up this morning, my flatmate wasn't doing too well, as apparently she'd had too much to drink the night before. Kind of humorous, actually... So I gave her some paracetemol and Alka-Seltzer, and then got to work on whipping up some wild rice salad, as I had promised I would bring some to a BBQ my friend Doro was having this afternoon.
The whole thing came out a bit mushy and watery (more like risotto than a rice salad), but it was what it was, so I just packed it up and got going. Arrived at the flat where the BBQ was being held, which was a place where my friend was house-sitting and bunny-sitting.
It was such a strange set-up, as this flat was utterly dominated by these two rabbits, who were larger than most cats, each about the size of a small beagle. There was one room (of a two-bedroom flat) that was turned over to the rabbits, and a good portion of the back yard was set up as a hutch for them. Although I had to admit that they were nice and soft to pet, I couldn't imagine going to such effort on behalf of an animal... A cat is nearly just as cuddly and requires a lot less care!
Still, despite the weird domination of the flat by rabbits, it was a nice BBQ. I was amazed at what some people made, including a rocket, parma ham, fresh mozzarella and diced plum salad that was outstandingly good. There was some very nice potato salad, and some fresh cut tomatoes, basil, and fresh mozzarella that was just insanely good. We actually spent the first part of the BBQ just eating all of our salad side-dish offerings, before eventually lighting up the disposable BBQs and whacking on the high-end venison sausages.
It was a good crowd too, as in addition to my friend Doro, there was her friend Tamsin (another Magdalene person, who is just the sunniest and nicest character), Elana (a friend of Doro's who works in the military, who I've been slowly warming too), Becky (a girl I met at drinks on Thursday), and two guys, Chris (who I met at the reverse dinner), and Kirty, who was actually a charming guy who worked for PwC. Yet, lest I like him too much, he pulled out some high-end flavoured cigarettes to smoke. Alas, why do all of the cute boys have to smoke??
Anyway, we had a lovely afternoon just talking about this and that, mostly about fund-raising ideas for Elana's upcoming charity bike-ride across Cambodia. Sounded like quite a challenge, although I've never quite understood these crazy charity endeavours that seem to be so popular among the British. Interesting little bit of culture.
Finally, after loads of food, we were all entering into a food coma, and so although quite a few of the others seemed to want to stay, I had to call time and head home. Just too tired and falling asleep as I went!
No comments:
Post a Comment