In the morning I got up intending to go to Body Pump, but after I heard from an old work friend who I hadn't spoken to in ages, she got me off-track with a quick catch-up chat. So instead I went to spin class at noon, although was disappointed to find that according to my heart-rate monitor, I didn't get quite the workout I'd been aiming for. After all, I had a lot of frustrations to work out, and I was hoping the spin class would help me with that.
Because yes, the young man was once again allowing me to just sit on tenterhooks all day, and he wasn't calling. Did my best to throw myself into work, and actually got a fair bit done (although I might have been just as motivated by the upcoming call deadline as I was by a desire to be distracted). Of course, he called while I was presenting during my last conference call of the day, so I had to put him off with a text and call back once I'd finished.
His news, alas, was not good. Things had not gone well at work that day, and I wasn't going to be able to come over for the evening. Although, to his credit, instead of just cancelling on me, he said, "Well, you have to eat dinner, don't you? I hate to make you come all of the way out to Canary Wharf, but I could escape to get a bite to eat."
Annoying, but I suppose not his fault. So I got on the Tube and went out to Canary Wharf. When he arrived, I went in for a kiss on the lips, but he kissed me on each cheek. WTF?
Okay, so surprising, but I walked along with him and we chatted about picking a restaurant, as well as a bit about his day. Sounds like it had been pretty rough, and it was only Monday. So I tried to ask him about the positives of his day...I can only hope I was a bit of a cheerful interlude in the day. We finally picked a place, a pizza place where he'd been before. Once we were seated, we actually had a great conversation. Lots of chatting and joking, and just talking about how we'd grown up and how we got into what we were doing now.
Unfortunately as he had to go back to work, we only had a glass of wine each, although that did lead to an interesting discussion about wine and what we liked about it. On so many things we seem to be so spot-on in agreement (wine is good if you like it, save money so you're never beholden to anyone), it's almost scary. After dinner, he ordered dessert and we both had some tea to linger a bit longer. But finally he had to go back to work and so it was time to pay the bill. I made the usual half-hearted polite offer of "Can I help with this?" and was somewhat surprised when he actually said yes. So I gave him £15 (not even half of the £37 bill), but that was kind of a point in and of itself. Although as he's a guy, I doubt he'll get the subtle point I was trying to make.
So then he walked me back to the Tube, at which point he kissed me good-bye (properly this time, although still very reserved, no tongue) at which point I had to think, "Wait, last night you were all over me. What gives?" Okay, so we were outside a Tube station with a bunch of people around, but still... Vague talk about how we'd get together once we were both back from our respective holidays, although I have to admit this blows. I'm gone from August 25th - September 9th, and then he's gone from Sept 4-18. So now it's a month apart. Oh well, who could have forseen this one coming?
I got home, and then just a bit annoyed (because I was sure he wouldn't write), texted him to say I'd gotten home safely. So he wrote back, ";) have a good night, Lizzie..."
I hate in that we're still so obviously just "dating", as he hasn't made up his mind yet about how much he likes me. I suppose I'm too impatient, as what can really be decided before we both get back in September? Hence, nothing to be done but to trust that if this is meant to work out, it will, and I can't do a damn thing about it otherwise. How annoying though, eh?
No comments:
Post a Comment