![]() |
| A gin and tonic in business class |
Once almost everyone was on board, including my seatmate (a girl who didn't say much to me), we were informed that the plane was being held for a connecting flight, so people who were supposed to be on our flight could make the connection. And as we were sitting there, a stewardess came up to me and handed me a new ticket saying, "Miss? We're going to have to ask you to move up to business class", as though it were some great imposition on me and they commanding me to do something. But seriously, no need to ask me twice, I gathered up my things and was out of there like a shot!
![]() |
| Dinner in business class |
Salad
Fresh seasonal greens featured with kalamata olives, tomatoes, artichokes and pepper roasted sliced chicken breast, offered with premium extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar
Boursin Crusted Beef Fillet
Grilled tenderloin of beef with a Boursin crust presented with wilted spinach, balsamic grilled tomatoes and whipped potatoes
Dessert
Vanilla Heath Bar Crunch with cocoa dusted almonds
Seriously, dining in business class is unreal!
I watched a few movies, including "Dark Shadows" and "Best Exotic Marigold Hotel", and then tried to get some sleep, but it was fitful. Woke up and even started on "Snow White and the Huntsman", but the plane landed before the movie had time to finish.
As we came into Heathrow, the pilot announced that we would be making one loop over the city of London, and that "those of you on the right-hand side of the plane will be treated to a really spectacular view." Oh yes, in addition to moving me from coach to business class, they'd moved me from the left-hand side of the plane to a window seat on the right-hand side. What a charmed life I lead!
Upon departing the plane, I realised they had given me a special card that put me in the Fast Track (by invitation only) line through immigration. Not sure if it really saved me much time, but it was still fun to get to do it. Immigration was a breeze when I handed over my biometric residence card, as the guy just asked me how long I'd lived in the UK now, and that was it. How much do I love being a permanent resident?
I managed to get all of my bags on the subway, and then when I got to Hammersmith, got a cab home, as I'd promised my mother I would. Except when I got into the cab, it barely got more than 100 metres when the cab died. The guy was able to start it up again, but then it died again. Finally, he had to pull over and hail another cab for me (thankfully he told me not to worry about his portion of the cab fare!) to get me the rest of the way home. Not like it's a far distance, but the cab couldn't even make it that far!
![]() |
| Everybody sleeping in business class at night |
Turned out that he'd gotten out of work early (it was a gorgeous day out), and so then spent the next 45 minutes chatting with me while he sat out in the sunshine. It was just good to talk to him again, I'd really missed him whilst I'd been gone.
I then spent an hour or so trying to do work, or maybe sleep, or I don't know what. Needless to say, I was a bit jet-lagged. I was then also surprised when my phone rang again after about two hours, it was the Tall South African calling again! I guess we hadn't had enough catch-up time.
![]() |
| Night time in business class, dark for sleeping! |
He made me laugh telling tales of talking to Caroline whilst I'd been gone, and totally forgetting to pay attention to her while she chatted away. I guess there's no substitute for me, so no wonder he was so eager to have me back! He must have figured out I was falling asleep on the phone though (I was so tired) and so finally did what I didn't have the heart to do, and wrapped up the call an hour and a half later.
Sophie asked me later, "Doesn't it bother you at all that he spends so much time and energy on you, while he's supposed to be dating someone else?"
I was almost surprised when I answered her, to realise that "No, it really doesn't." Because the communication with us is so clear, we know exactly what is going on. That I like him and he likes me, but our age difference is too much to be overcome. But we really like each other, so why should we have to stop talking to each other, just because we've decided not to have a relationship? Although I am reminded of Joel's wise words to me the other day, "Oh my dear, you're having another relationship disguised as a friendship..." He's right, of course, but I'm not sure what to do about it, or if anything even needs to be done about it...
![]() |
| Breakfast on the plane |
When I got to the bar, I was greeted by the guy who had hosted the party at the swingers' house right before I left. Now, I find this guy tedious at the best of times, but always feel an obligation to be polite because 1) I'm just nice to everybody, and 2) I DID go to his birthday party after all, which he hosted for all of us at what was probably some considerable expense to himself.
Anyway, so while I struggled to get the attention of the bar staff, I was trapped in conversation with this guy, who would not stop commenting on how attractive he thought I looked in a swimsuit, and asking why I hadn't worn it this night. And then saying how I needed to come over and go swimming at his... Seriously, the more I stood there, the more creepy it got. And while there were four staff members behind the bar, they all seemed to be too busy washing glasses to pick up on my frantic tapping of my card on the bar, desperate for them to interrupt. Finally, I told him, "I think the bar staff isn't paying attention to me because I'm talking to you, do you mind if I focus on getting someone's attention?" Seriously, the club has seriously gone downhill in terms of service lately, and really is terrible at noticing when a poor girl needs rescuing!
Luckily I made it back outside and found Sophie, and so settled into a conversation with her. She had nothing much to update me on that I'd missed whilst I'd been in the US, and it sounded like she was stuck in the situation that I often am, with no new gossip to report on. It often boggles my mind that somebody like Sophie is single, but then again, perhaps the same can often be said of me.
I noticed the Young Dutchman arrive, but given that he was greeting the crowds like a politician, I left him to it, figuring he would make his way over to me when he had time. I guess I didn't give him enough of a greeting when he first arrived however, as soon he made his way over to me, sat on my chair, and chatted with me and Sophie for a while while I wrapped an arm around him.
This made me think of what Sophie had said was the problem with my relationship with the Tall South African as opposed to mine with the Young Dutchman. She pointed out, "At least with you and the Young Dutchman, it's never been a romantic thing. You've always had this incredibly solid, platonic relationship. But it wasn't always that way with the Tall South African, and isn't that weird to you?" It isn't, but I have to admit, it felt as it always has with the Young Dutchman, in that we enjoy being physically close, but in the way you hug your brother. I'd missed that for the first time ever, the first person to greet me when I got home after a trip wasn't the Young Dutchman, but it was still nice that he was among the first, nonetheless.
![]() |
| Morning on the plane |
The Young Dutchman: "Hey, are those new shoes?"
Me: "Why yes, they are!"
The Young Dutchman: "Hey, did you buy them in New York?"
Me: "Why yes, I did!"
The Young Dutchman: "Is this the first time you've ever worn them to go out?"
Me: "Why yes, it is!"
The Young Dutchman: "Can we get another woman over here to witness that a MAN noticed all of this?"
Cracked me up. He makes me laugh so much. We talked about how I should join Google (his new favourite topic) and how he'd been offered a permanent job there. I was really happy for him, he deserves his success.
At around 10:30 however, I was nearly falling asleep standing up. So I started to make my rounds of good-byes, starting and ending both with the Young Dutchman, as we just hugged and held onto each other a bit longer. I love how we have our special relationship, separate and better than what we have with anybody else.
Yet as much as I adore him, I was just too tired, and it was time for me to head home!






No comments:
Post a Comment