Monday, 24 September 2012

Inter-Club Committee Handover

This evening I'd agreed to meet a few people for an Inter-Club Committee handover meeting, as I'd foolishly put my hand up at the last Inter-Club meeting and volunteered to actually run the show on this thing.  What was I thinking?  It's not like I'm overloaded with free time.  But I think it can run a lot better than it currently is, so I volunteered.

I was running about 5 minutes late, so when I arrived at the Army & Navy Club, all of the boys were all already present.  Which given that they were all seated around one tiny table in a large empty room, means that perhaps I noticed more what happened next:  All the boys stood up as soon as I walked into the room, as all well-trained gentlemen should.  Yet, where do you ever really see that sort of behaviour outside of Downton Abbey?  And alas, I the poor American girl, found myself wracking my brain to remember my grandmother's copy of Emily Post, to remember what the proper etiquette was for women.

So while I comfortably greeted all of the boys with kisses on each cheek, and we all sat down again, I was then a bit puzzled as to what the appropriate behaviour was for when one of the boys had to leave early, and all of the men stood up to say good-bye to him.  As a woman, I don't stand, right?  So I remained seated, and he came over and kissed me on each cheek to say good-bye.  Hope that was the right thing to do...I need to brush up on my etiquette, really!

The first item on the agenda had to do with Irritating Boy, who apparently really misbehaved at the dinner after the last meeting, where I'd left early because I found his behaviour so intolerable.  Apparently he had really behaved in a lecherous and inappropriate manner with the one girl who stayed for the dinner, who had never met him before and so had no idea what she was in for.  At one point, he even commented to another boy, "I'm going to destroy her".  The poor girl was so uncomfortable, that at one point when Irritating Boy went to the loo, she took the opportunity to flee straight out of there.

I was a fan of banning him immediately, but the boys seemed to want to give someone the opportunity to speak to him about his behaviour, and give him one last chance.  If there were any more complaints, he would be gone, but he still got another chance to correct his behaviour.  Although I wasn't a fan of this approach, the boys seemed to think that a "man-to-man" talk could change things, so I had to go along with it.  Yet I always wonder with men like that, do they really think their approach with women gets them anywhere?  I can't imagine what woman would ever go for a man who so aggressively  inappropriately, and quite frankly meanly, pursued them.

After we got through the rest of the items on the agenda (including a really cool new website), we ended the meeting and went for drinks in the bar of the Army & Navy Club.  Had some champagne, chatted with a few people, and realising how long the night was going on, I found myself wishing that I had taken a bit more time with dressing before going out, as it was turning into quite the evening and I had just thrown on a suit that was now turning out to be quite warm...

Some of the boys decided to call it a night at that point, but somehow I found myself agreeing to stay for dinner with Justin and Gavin, the Inter-Club Chair whose club it was.

We then had an interesting conversation at dinner, where the Inter-Club Chair related the story of how he met his wife when he was 19 and she was 26, they got married when he was 22 (and she was 29), and they now have an 11-year old son (and I think a daughter too).  So from this I conclude that he's now 36?  (And his wife is 43?)

So bizarre when I realise I'd always assumed my first long-term relationship didn't work out due to the age difference, as he was 20 and I was 25 when we met.  Yet, hearing this story, I realise that it was just that he was immature.  I wonder what my life would be like now if that had worked out?  Would I be married with kids already?  Scary thought.

The chef came out to speak to us at one point (since it was a Monday night, I guess things were rather slow in the kitchen), which was rather nice, to talk to him a bit about the food.  I was even more impressed then when dessert was brought out, which had been described on the menu as "British chocolate garden".  It was a chocolate stick fashioned to look like a branch, with large white chocolate butterflies resting on it, nestled in a valley of raspberries and flowers.  I wish I'd had the bravery to take a photo, it was one of the most amazing desserts I've ever seen.  (Almost a pity to ruin it by eating it, but it was also stunning to eat as well!)

The boys then went on for one more post-dinner drink, but I needed desperately to stop by my own club, as I'd promised the Assistant Secretary that I would have a go at signing up for this card pilot program.  I was pleased when I ran into the bartender (a crusty old man who has been behind that bar for 37 years, and is therefore not always welcoming to change), and he was delighted to try out this new system with me.

Finally having accomplished all of the items on my list of things to do, I headed home, where I was surprised when the Young Dutchman's brother popped up online.  He originally popped up just to apologise for not seeing me for dinner once more before he went back to the Netherlands after he was in town for the Olympics.  But somehow the conversation kept going, and we ended up chatting until nearly 4 AM.  The conversation ranged from him promising to cook me dinner at some point, talking about how he gets very moody at times (ah, he's so young!), and him asking me, "Have you ever done psychedelics   You really seem like the type, if you don't mind my saying..."  Gosh, who knew I appeared to Dutch people like the sort that would use mind-altering drugs?

Finally though, sleepy and exhausted (and mindful that I had to see my personal trainer in the morning!), I said my good nights and went off to bed...

No comments:

Post a Comment