Saturday, 22 September 2012

Bavarian Luncheon

With Caroline in our costumes
After a mad panic this past week to get numbers up for the Bavarian Luncheon this Saturday, the day had arrived.  Hopefully we'd finally gotten enough people...

Chatting with Swiss Boy
I had tried on my dirndle when I was home in the US, but unfortunately the darn thing just wouldn't zip up.  So I came up with an outfit involving a vest and a skirt and a white blouse, and braided my hair in two pigtails.  Yet, once I did that, I realised I looked like a Britney Spears-esque sexy school girl, and so instead used a fake hairpiece to braid my hair up and over in a more German style.

When I got there, I was greeted by the Wild Welshman, and I ran into his brother right as I arrived as well.  I was glad to see him back, looking well, and back in his liederhosen.  I also saw the Wild Welshman's girlfriend, and so greeted her warmly and made sure to introduce her around to people.  It's so funny, as I had quite a few people say she was not what they would have expected him to date, and I have to admit she isn't what I would have imagined either.  Yet, he likes her and she seems nice enough, so I was happy to make sure she felt welcome.

I was quite excited to see the Swiss Boy arrive, and he made sure to introduce me to his friend, the Rugby Doctor.  The guy had a broken wrist (his cast looked painful), and he also informed me that he'd torn his ACL three times.  Apparently after the last tear, he'd just given up on repairing it, and was now living without an ACL in that knee, but still playing rugby.  I couldn't believe it, this guy was an emergency room doctor?  He definitely looked much more like a rugger!
In the bar with Piers
I had a nice time sitting at lunch across from the Swiss Boy and the Rugby Doctor, and next to the Wild Welshman's sister.  I had to admit the Rugby Doctor was cute and charming (although I later learned he had a girlfriend), and I always enjoy the company of the Swiss Boy.  Which I suppose is why I was somewhat distressed to learn that he's shortly off to Dubai for three months.  I will miss him while he's gone, for sure.

With Caroline
The luncheon seemed to go well, and when we played the usual "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean" game, the other table screwed up horribly, but the Wild Welshman's brother and I decided to show them how it was all done.  And we were doing quite well with the game until the Wild Welshman's brother screwed up, and I wasn't sure quite whether to stick with the correct timings or join him.  I joined him, although bad choice, as of course it meant we ended up one beat off.  Oh well!

After the event finished, we went up to the terrace for drinks.  It was a relatively warm afternoon, so it was nice to get a chance to enjoy one last event up there for the summer.  Met a new guy, I think named Jacob, who had just joined and this was the first event he had come to.  Introduced him around, I hope he liked meeting people!

When it got cold out, we went back down to the bar, to be somewhere inside and warm.  When Caroline needed to go to the loo, she told me that Doro's boyfriend had totally clocked my chest at one point, but I didn't even notice.  She said she'd caught his eye right after he did it, and the boy turned bright red.  How funny, as I don't ever even notice these things!
Piers doing well for himself!
Back in the bar, I spent ages chatting with Piers, who I find a lot easier to chat to now that he has a girlfriend.  I was surprised to learn that he was somewhat resentful of a chap in our social circle, but seemed to ease up a bit when I explained how painfully shy with women this guy was.  It was like he never even knew, where my entire life seems to have been spent trying to put this guy at ease.

With the Swiss Boy
Finally, I'd had enough, so I begged off with Piers, and went up to the terrace to say good-bye to Swiss Boy.  I will miss him when he's in Dubai...

I then called the Young Dutchman as I was heading out of the station, and learned that he was having an early night.  Inspired by that, although there was another party that I could have gone to, I decided to turn in early as well.  For once!

No comments:

Post a Comment