Friday, 14 September 2012

Back from Cambridge

The view out my window in Mallory Court in the morning
In the morning, I woke up and glanced at my phone.  According to my phone, it was 10 AM.  I nearly put it down again and went back to sleep, as I thought to myself, "There's no way that can be right!"

After all, I had set my alarm for 8 AM, and the first session started at 9.  There was no way I was still in bed at 10.  Yet, a moment of sanity did prevail, and I glanced at my phone again.  It was indeed 10 AM, and I was supposed to have checked out of my room by 9:30 AM!

I briefly debated taking a shower, but realised that there was no time for it, and I was too hung over to function well enough for a shower anyway.  I kept gulping down water, got dressed and packed my bags as quickly as I could.

I was interrupted by the bedder as I packed, and I assured her that I would be out in 10 minutes.  Given how late I was, she was surprisingly nice about it...  Realising that the morning session of the conference was a write-off, I just went over to the Porter's Lodge, found out I could turn in my key there, and then made my way back to the station.  Might as well head back to London....

Mallory Court from my window

Upon returning to my flat, I struggled through some conference calls, and remembered I needed to clean my flat, as my friend EmJay was planning on coming to stay with me that evening (she was going to be over from the Netherlands).  I had also told Lotte that I would see her at the Lansdowne in the evening, and potentially see the Young Dutchman there too.  Yet, between the hangover and general lack of sleep, I was just exhausted.  So when EmJay texted to say she wouldn't see me until tomorrow, I sent messages to Lotte and the Young Dutchman.  When no responses were quickly forthcoming, I decided it was just time to go grocery shopping, enough with the nonsense of trying to go to the Lansdowne.  (I later heard from the Young Dutchman that he hadn't been able to make it anyway, so definitely the right move!)  Time for some sleep, methinks!

No comments:

Post a Comment