Sunday, 23 September 2012

Rainy Brunch

I woke up this morning to discover quite a few texts, a Facebook message and a missed call from the Tall South African, obviously made while he was drunk the night before.  And I have to say, it really made me smile, even as a part of me wished I'd been awake to get his call the night before.  There's something about knowing that a drunk boy wanted nothing more than to talk to you when he was deep in his cups.  And it's good to know that he does the same back to me that I've occasionally done to him!

I texted him back (he always does the same to me the morning after), and engaged in a bit of back-and-forth banter.  Good way to start the morning.

I also saw I'd missed a text from EmJay at around midnight asking if she could stay at mine, as apparently she'd been out somewhere and the girl she was staying with said she couldn't go back by herself.  So perhaps it was good that I'd been asleep anyway...  As I was leaving for brunch, my phone rang, and it was EmJay, sounding a bit upset and wanting to know what I was up to.  Given that I was just on my way out the door, there was no way I could accommodate her, and I have to be honest I wasn't feeling particularly inspired to either.  I try to be a good friend, honestly I do, but there is only so much whining and moaning I can tolerate.

I got to Andy's, where humorously, I was 10 minutes early for once, and the boy himself had just woken up. Quite the change from our usual way of doing things!

Right on time, we were joined by Zhan and Brianna, and then we went for brunch at Jamie's Kitchen in Notting Hill.  Quite the long wait for our breakfast (and given that I hadn't eaten, I was starving!), but the food was good and we had a good chat about the US elections.  I kept trying to explain to everyone, that although it looks at this point like Obama has the presidential election in the bag, I remain very nervous about the Senate election, and Elizabeth Warren's race in particular.  I very much hope that she wins that one...

After brunch, the rain really started to come down, and in no time it was absolutely pouring outside.  I stopped to get groceries on the way home, and was quite annoyed with myself when I miscalculated the cost on an item, and then added insult to injury by having to carry the offending item I over-paid for home in the pouring rain, and getting absolutely soaked in the process.

Got back to my flat, soaking wet and cold, and texted the Tall South African with my irritation at this state of affairs.  When he wrote back, laughing, that he was doing very well to be tucked up in bed with his duvet, I realised that this was an excellent idea, and spent the rest of my afternoon doing the same.  Miserable day outside, but a good day to be tucked up inside where it's warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment