Tonight was the AGPU at my running club, although in contrast to past years, it was perhaps even more tame than a typical night at the hash, just very low key. No drinks stop, no staying late, just like an ordinary run, except with elections.
I arrived late, as I'd gotten stuck trying to finish up some e-mails at work and get them sent out while people in the US were still awake, but eventually I made it there. Was instantly greeted by Matt, who I always love to see, although I found myself a bit restless, as I really wanted to talk to Caroline about the results of our Sunday nights. Yet the circle dragged on, and on, and on... And then when it was over I kept trying to make conversation with Matt, but I felt bad for him as I really just wanted to talk to Caroline. Poor Matt, I was really rubbish company.
Finally though, Caroline just grabbed me and said, "Right. Let's go over here..." and dragged us both far away from the group. She'd apparently been just as desperate to talk to me as I was to her, and finally we just realised we'd better escape the group if we were to have any chance of chatting at all!
So apparently things had gone really well with her and Sandhurst Boy, and they'd even gone out for drinks and dinner last night, as well as making plans to meet for a picnic tomorrow afternoon. She was a bit surprised by all of this, yet impressed by his maturity (he'd asked her what she'd want to name her children at dinner the night before), and was amazed at how well they got along despite his youth (he's a mere 22-year old lad).
I told her all about my night, although I had to admit I was a bit surprised that aside from sending a FB-request soon after he left me, I hadn't heard a peep from Qatari Boy. Which, on the one hand, I'm not sure how much I like him anyway, so maybe that's not a big deal, but you kind of want boys to want you, if you know what I mean... Regardless of how things turn out, even if we don't like a guy, we'd rather be the ones doing the rejecting. Maybe he picked up on my ambivalence? Regardless, his radio silence was at least making my mixed feelings more clear... A boy who can't be bothered to follow up, even with the briefest of text messages, the next day, is definitely tipping himself over into the "not worth my time" column.
As we were in the midst of this very intense (and private) conversation, I was surprised at how people kept coming over to interrupt us. Once it was Matt, just saying good-bye, but he seemed to pick up on the vibe and know to move on. Not true of others however, and after one particularly clueless chap just kept hanging out and trying to talk to us, I downed my beer (seeing that he still had a full pint) and suggested we leave.
Yet, of course we still had to say our goodbyes, and so we got trapped in conversation with a bunch of boys, including Sweetheart, who kept putting his arm around me and holding on to me very tightly, almost romantically. Which surprised me, but I feel like he's been doing that more lately. The "friendly kisses" that are a bit more than friendly, the tight hold on me...which makes me wonder, "Don't you realise that I talk to Caroline about EVERYTHING? And I know that you hooked up with her?" Maybe he just likes the challenge of trying to have what he hasn't had yet, but knowing what I know about his history with Caroline, no way would I ever betray her confidence. You've got to be a sister, sometimes.
Anyway, maybe I'm over-thinking it. Still, it struck me as odd. At last however, Caroline and I were able to escape, and continue our conversation on the way to the Tube station. Except that even when we got on our respective trains and got to Oxford Circus, we found that we still weren't done talking, and so we stood on the platform continuing to talk, while at least six more trains went by. Hilarious conversation where we discussed the respective merits of the bedroom technique of our boys, and were relieved to discover that both boys seem to do one thing that we find unpleasant (which I've actually noticed among quite a few boys...I think we really need to get the message out that they really need to stop that).
Caroline finally left saying that she was going to have to find an excuse to call Qatari Boy, given that they were old friends, and see what she could learn. I'm not sure, given his non-communication, that I care, and so as a result just need to put him out of my head. What a brilliant time to run away to New York for a while!
No comments:
Post a Comment