Feeling a bit lonely now that the Tall South African has gone home, but luckily I didn't have much time to wallow in being alone, as I was due out at my friend Sara's for an Olympic party at her flat.
When I got over there, I realised I'd never seen her new flat before, and was in total awe of how lovely it was. Gorgeous one-bedroom flat, with the most stunning kitchen, a lovely main sitting room, and up a spiral staircase, a bathroom and bedroom at the top. Made me wonder how much more I'll need to earn to have a place so nice... Ah well, I know that Sara works a heck of a lot harder than I do (she's in the office at 7:20 AM every day), so no wonder she has such a nice place as a result of all her hard work!
I ended up having a nice time chatting with various friends of Sara's that I'd remembered meeting over the years, and had a good chat with a couple who had just come back from a week-long yoga retreat. Sounded pretty nice, really.
We then mostly got involved in watching Andy Murray play Roger Federer for the Olympics men's singles gold medal. It was so crazy to me, that just a month ago, Federer had taken Murray down on this very court, and now here they were back again, battling it out, the same players in the very same spot. And even more amazing, the result was now reversed, with Murray taking down Federer in straight sets. It's like there really is some magic for Team GB out there, and the roar of the crowds (and the roar of us yelling at the television) really takes people further and carries them through.
We watched the whole thing on Sara's laptop, so when I returned home that evening, despite not having a television, I wondered if I might be able to watch the men's 100 metres that way. Indeed, got a great connection to the BBC website, and so was screaming live when Usain Bolt blew away his doubters, and in 9.63 seconds, ran the 100 metres and silenced all his critics, crossing the finish line with his finger to his lips. I thought it was an amazing race, for just a few years after we'd wondered if it were possible to run 100 metres in less than 10 seconds, only one guy in the whole race ran slower than 10 seconds (and he'd pulled his hamstring). What an amazing race, what an amazing Olympics...
No comments:
Post a Comment