Saturday, 15 January 2011

Water at the Lansdowne

I've become so used to sleeping in, that when I had to actually get up and go to the office this morning, it was a huge trauma to try and wake up on time. As a result, I didn't shower, didn't do my hair, didn't do anything other than just race out of my flat at the last possible minute to make it to the office for my meeting on time. But what did it matter? I was only going to the office, it was not like I had anything to do after work, for once...

I suppose I should have known better, and so was unsurprised when the Young Dutchman caught me online, asking, "Drinks at the Lansdowne tonight?" Apparently he was pretty tired (had been out at a Wikipedia party with Jimmy Wales the night before), but insisted that we needed to catch up.

I then was surprised to get a text from Tristan, who I haven't seen in ages, wondering if I were at the O&C. Alas, I wasn't, but I'm sorry that was the case, as it sounded like with all that he's been working recently, I missed a rare opportunity to catch up with him.

I quickly stopped by the club to check out a few books and see if Tristan might be there (he wasn't), and then made my way to the Lansdowne, where I found the Young Dutchman talking to a few friends of his who I'd met before (an Australian guy named Immanuel, and his girlfriend Fiona), and a few I hadn't (an Australian chap named Nick). In the end, I barely got a chance to talk to the Young Dutchman, but was ever my usual charming and polite self, as I don't know any other way to be.

The chap Nick you could definitely tell was interested in me, if only I could have been bothered to make an effort. He did the same sorts of "casual touching" tricks I always try out on boys I like, and seemed fascinated by my conversation, but he was too much of a "boasting boy", talking about his amazing business and high-class lifestyle... Although I'm not rich, I have enough money of my own not to be impressed by displays of wealth, so I just had to be amused by his vain attempts to impress me. I think I may have wandered off on him at some point...

Eventually, I was just so tired of being on my feet, and the Young Dutchman was just out of his head with exhaustion, that we both collapsed into chairs while the Young Dutchman serenaded me with dramatic readings from Jonathan Franzen's "Freedom", while we both bemoaned why on earth this work was being hailed as the next great American novel. (As is usual with Jonathan Franzen books, I want to slap all of his characters). As is usual, I love how the Young Dutchman can make me laugh, and how he shares exactly my same opinions when it comes to literature.

I then found myself chatting quite a bit with the Young Dutchman's friend Gus, who seemed quite taken with me. Although the Young Dutchman is young, I think Gus is even younger, so I didn't know quite how to put him off without being rude, but given that he'd obviously had quite a bit to drink (compared to my incredible sobriety of having had nothing but water), I just didn't worry much about it.

We also found ourselves joined by Piers, who I sometimes worry has a crush on me. Given how much I'm attracted to intelligent men, as sweet as Piers is I know I'd grow bored of him in less than a week. So also just tried to politely side-step that one, and yelped when I realised that it was already 11:30 PM and I was still at the club. I've often joked that the Lansdowne is a black-hole that sucks you in, but I didn't realise that even when not drinking champagne, it still often has a hold on you!

So I made my way to the Tube, hoping against hope that when I made it to Hammersmith, the grocery store in the station might still be open. (Having had only water all evening, I was absolutely starved by this point!) Alas, it was not to be, so I was forced to scrounge my dinner from McDonald's (ick!) before making it home past midnight. So much for having a night off with nothing to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment