Saturday, 18 February 2012

Rotational Dinner


In the morning, I found that instead of going away while I slept overnight, my minor toothache from the night before was getting worse. So I made sure to leave early for squash, so I had time to stop by the pharmacy to pick up some Oragel. It didn't exactly just numb all of the pain away, but at least made it so that I could get through a game.

Sophie warned me via text that she was running 15 minutes late, so since I was on time for once, I went down to the courts and started warming up the ball. Slightly embarassing then when two guys decided to watch from the viewing balcony, and Sophie ended up being a half-hour late! (This is how I learned that she had been out until 4:30 AM the night before...thank goodness I had not gone along to that party with her!) We still had time to get in two games, which I crushed Sophie at both of them. Apparently Sophie doesn't play well when sexually frustrated or short on sleep either!

We then parted ways and I went back home to change and take some more painkillers, as the tooth situation was getting progressively worse. I spent much too much time focused on my aching tooth rather than getting ready for dinner, and when I was still not entirely ready to go, I realised I'd reached the point where I absolutely had to race out the door if I was going to have any chance of being on time. Lesson learned...always start getting ready earlier.

I arrived just as the drinks reception was starting, and there were already about 20 people present. I found myself drinking quite a bit of champagne in a desperate attempt to keep my mind off the pain in my tooth, as everything hurt so much. Greeted the Ginger Lawyer Guy, my friend Sara, and a few boys from the Lansdowne who had come along. Made polite conversation with everyone, made sure to introduce people, and then spotted the professional photographer so made sure to introduce myself to him as well.

I then realised that I'd completely forgotten to print off a copy of the club grace, but when I asked the banqueting chairman, he assured me that he would put out a printed copy for me. And before I knew it, the 30 minute cocktail hour was up, and it was time to head into dinner (where I hoped that my 6 glasses of champagne would leave me somewhat dulled to the pain but still able to read grace in Latin!)

Everyone found their seats, and I decided to read the Cambridge version of the club grace (there's both a Cambridge and an Oxford version), since the "Benedic Dominae" beginning was more similar to what I remembered hearing every night at Magdalene. Goodness knows, I have not a clue as to how to properly pronounce Latin, but I managed to hopefully make it through the grace without horribly mangling it, and everyone sat down to eat.

I made it through two rounds of rotations, giving the speeches every time the boys needed to move, having the most fun during the main course, when I found myself next to a chap from Balliol (he was a friend of my friend Florie) and Ginger Lawyer Guy. They both provided entertaining conversation, and I was sad when they moved on and I found myself with a cute-but-dull lawyer and a nice-enough older guy. They asked me if I wanted to do one more rotation, and I probably should have gone for it (my present company just wasn't that interesting), but since I hadn't planned on one, I left it.

Although I did get a surprise after the port came out, and the staff reminded me that I needed to do the Loyal Toast. Oh dear God, why does nobody tell me these things BEFORE I've consumed a ton of wine and port?

Still, made it through that, as my head was just throbbing at this point. Once it seemed acceptable to leave the table, I tried to weave my way out of the room (rather unsteady on my feet at this point), hoping to take some more asprin and deal with the horrible pain in my head. Except people kept stopping me as I tried to leave the room, just to say hello or tell me something or make polite chit-chat... Can't these people tell I'm in agony here?

Eventually I made it back to the bar, somebody bought me some more port (that helped), and I found myself with JG. Long-time readers may remember JG, a guy I've had a long history of hooking up with over the years. And since he was here, despite that we hadn't really spoken all evening, I just sort of assumed we'd go home together. After all, the Tall South African has been leaving me quite wound up and yet frustrated as of late. I was looking forward to some playtime with JG to burn off some energy. So I mouthed to him across the room, "Can we go now?"

But no, it appeared that everybody wanted to go out to some sort of after-party, so I found myself dumped in a cab, off to some nightclub where they told us to remove our bow-ties (what, we were over-dressed?) and then upon realising both the wait and the cover charge, ended up at some Blues Club with about 7 others. There, somebody got me a beer or two (I was really just tired and my tooth hurt at this point), and I just wanted to go home. I think it was around 3 AM when finally the band finished, everything wrapped up, and I found myself in a taxi with JG and a few others as we made stops to drop people off.

Finally (!) the cab was empty and it was just me and JG, and so we started making out. (It should be noted once again that WE HAD NOT SPOKEN all evening, this turn of events was somehow negotiated entirely wordlessly). And so we got back to mine, up to my flat, and I was trying hard to get into it despite the distraction of my hurting tooth.

As for what happened next, I can perhaps only say that maybe JG noticed my distraction. Or that he was tired and drunk, like I was. Or maybe he really did find himself suddenly distracted by thoughts of his ex and so no longer in the mood. But anyway, with all clothes still on, JG suddenly pulled away from me and said, "I hate to do this to you, but I think I'd better go home." He gave some excuse about how thoughts of his ex had suddenly gotten into his head and distracted him, I don't know, I wasn't really paying attention.

In the end, it probably was for the best. The tooth was distracting me beyond all measure, and I probably would not have been good company by the morning. Still, I have been feeling restless lately (damn the Tall South African!) and definitely could have used a distraction. And I do like JG...for whatever reason, the two of us have always clicked in that regard. So while it was a shame to miss this opportunity, I just hope it isn't our last. Maybe another time...

No comments:

Post a Comment