Sunday, 12 February 2012

Car Shopping

I woke at 7:45 AM with a clear head but not having gotten much sleep, the effects of alcohol on sleep patterns. I was awake therefore at 9 AM when the Tall South African texted me (as he always does after nights out), although we didn't text much, as I think he was in pretty bad shape. (After all, he'd had that second bottle of wine with me, and then I'd sent him off to have whiskey and cigars with the boys).

I got myself up, showered and dressed, and went grocery shopping so I would have food for lunch. When I came home, I got a text from CBDG, saying that he'd gotten up late and was going for lunch with his friend, but maybe I could join them for drinks afterwards? I agreed to that, and was trying to think of what to do next, when my phone rang, it was the Tall South African.

We talked and chatted for a bit, before he asked me, "Are you up for an adventure?" Now what girl could say no to that? So he told me he would call me from Shepherd's Bush once he got there, and so 20 minutes later I set out and met him at the station. Apparently we were going car shopping!

Yet the car lot that he wanted to visit was in Willesden Junction over 2 miles away, and the Overground trains weren't running. I pointed out that we could take the bus, but good thing I was wearing comfortable shoes, as the South African decided we should walk. And hey, I could sure use the exercise!

So we walked and talked, even as I did have to hustle a bit to keep up with his long legs. Some days hanging out with him is so much like spending time with my dad, it's not even funny. We talked about how he didn't go to a good secondary school, due to the lack of funds after his family escaped South Africa, and just the variety of people he knows. It was an interesting conversation, covering all sorts of topics, and really made me realise the value of just being honest with him, as it opens up all sorts of new avenues for things to talk about.

We made it to the car lot, and then spent time wandering around looking at cars. He was obsessed, all I could note was, "Hey, that one is shiny!" We found an Alpha Romero that he liked, and so went and got the keys so he could sit in it, and found that he has the same problem my dad does: He can't fit into many cars. He almost was trying to talk himself into the idea that it would work, but I jokingly kept him honest. It cracks me up, as he is such a classic young guy, wanting to buy a sports car. I just don't see the appeal, but I guess it's a guy thing.

While we were out, I got a text from CBDG saying he was out saying, "Hello! I'm in the George on Wardour Street if you want to come out! :)" I read this aloud to the Tall South African, and then texted CBDG back to explain that I was actually wandering around a car parking lot. The Tall South African cracked up at my respond to CBDG, "Apparently I should ask a few more questions when a friend says, 'Are you up for an adventure?'" He scolded me, calling me a cheeky girl, but it made him laugh all the same. He asked me about CBDG, and I explained honestly that he's a guy I wouldn't mind having a fling with, but don't think there's enough there for something long-term. And I had no idea how to explain that to CBDG without it coming across as being totally insulting. And anyway, I get so many mixed messages from CBDG, I have no idea what his intentions are anyway. Maybe he's just really friendly? Anyway, what's the deal with him just texting me out of the blue and expecting me to come running? I'm not exactly the kind of girl who sits and waits by the phone for a boy to call!

Still, CBDG told me not to worry about coming out, and asked what I was doing tomorrow night. Assured him that I was free, so maybe we'll finally get together then.

Finally, after getting into yet another car, the Tall South African admitted that he was tired and getting cold, and so I got him on a bus to go home. He claimed never to take buses anywhere, and so put himself in my hands to get him home. It was so much nicer to be on the bus as we chatted, where he told me the surprising thing that he'd learned while out with the boys the night before, which was that it turns out Lotte's fiancee is actually quite sexually experienced, having had his first three-way when he was 15. As the Tall South African said, "I've done a lot of things, but no way did I have the confidence for that when I was 15!" As I pointed out to him, it was just hard for me to even think of, as there is no way a girl will ever admit to her girlfriends to being "sexually experienced."

As well, he talked about how impressed he was that Lotte's fiancee and his friends debate intellectual topics like economics and politics, while his friends just generally talked about events and what they were up to. It made me think of that Elenor Roosevelt quote, "Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people". He expressed an interest in going back to graduate school, reading for a law degree, and getting involved in politics. I don't think law would suit his personality, but I could definitely see him doing politics...

We got back to Shepherd's Bush, and started debating what to do about dinner. I offered to cook at home or pay for us to go out for dinner (as I know I make more money than he does and I couldn't remember paying the bill the other day at all, as apparently he'd covered the tab). So we wandered through Westfield for a bit looking at options, before he suddenly declared that he wanted to go to TGI Fridays in Covent Garden. Okay, really? But so it was, and hence we returned to the Tube, and took the train to Oxford Circus.

I guess once again showing how this boy likes to walk, to insist that we get out at Oxford Circus and walk, rather than actually take the Tube all of the way to Covent Garden. After fighting to keep up with him through the tourist crowds for a bit, I just grabbed onto his arm, which made things so much easier as I walked, always able to stick with him, as he just pulled and propelled me along. And I didn't have to worry about bumping into him when he suddenly changed direction, we just more easily moved in sync. And so we walked from Oxford Circus, down through Picadilly, on through Leicester Square, down past Trafalgar Square, and eventually coming up by Covent Garden. Talking the whole way about what turns women on, whether I'd find a guy in a sports car more attractive, and shirtless models at Abercrombie & Fitch.

We finally got to the restaurant, where we were told that there would be a 15 minute wait for a table, so we went and got drinks at the bar. He had to use the facilities, so I got him a frozen margarita (which he'd wanted), and I got an Old Fashioned, given that my brother has been into them these days.

Given that he hadn't eaten yet all day, I insisted we get some starters, and after a bit he perked up (although he was still obviously quite tired). And so we talked and laughed through dinner, split a bottle of wine, and had to sing "Happy Birthday" twice to people sitting near us. I had to laugh that going to a chain restaurant was the way anybody would celebrate a birthday, but so it goes. And I did get quite a surprise when I asked him how he'd spent his last birthday, and he said, "Well, I woke up and found one naked girl next to me, and then I rolled over and found another one!" When I laughed and protested that it didn't seem much good if he couldn't remember it, he winked and assured me, "Oh don't worry, I remembered the good parts worth remembering."

As we chatted all through dinner, I was surprised yet again at how much I enjoy his company. I told him about how when we first met, I'd told Ryan, "You can't trust a guy that good-looking." And he kept insisting that I didn't understand how rare it was for him to meet a girl and think that he wanted to get to know her for the long-term. He claimed to not have had sex since he'd slept with Drunk Girl at the New Year, and told me that for somebody who is used to getting it at least once a week, I didn't understand how good he was being. And so we really were having the most hilariously inappropriate conversation, about all of the various sexual things he's done with girls, including that waking up after a three-way on his last birthday. I think I don't even really appreciate quite how much he's slept around, it's just sort of beyond my comprehension.

But he insisted that he wanted to make more friends and not just sleep with people, and that he wanted to come down to London more. So I promised to invite him down to events more, and will have to see what I can arrange. Looks like I might be doing the dangerous thing of getting him involved in my social life, but I guess if we're being honest here, what do I have to lose? And it would be nice to see him more.

At the end of dinner, I managed to grab the bill, and insisted on paying. That really threw him for a loop, as it's just not his style to let a girl pay. I did get a good laugh out of the waiter however, when I explained that not only was I paying for dinner, but I'd already been trekking around a used car lot all day with him! As he said when we left, "The waiter is definitely wondering what on earth I'm doing right."

I finally only managed to get him to relax about the bill when I assured him that I was positive he would find an opportunity to take me out next time, which got him thinking about which restaurant he wanted to take me to. And as I told him, "I love it that you want to pay, so don't ever stop trying to pay even if I turn you down!"

And so we walked back through Covent Garden, where we realised that there were tons of Audis lined up everywhere, so because I'm a girl and will ask questions that a guy won't, I approached a group of chauffeurs and asked what was going on. It turns out that we'd stumbled onto the BAFTAs, and had a good time talking with the chauffeurs about some of their war stories from having drunken guests in their cars.

We then went for a stroll back down to Oxford Circus, me once again hanging on his arm, and the two of us just playing at flirting the entire way there. He seemed to have fun putting on his most intense pick-up lines with me, while I played the part of a bashful and easily-impressed girl named Emily who worked in PR for a publishing house. I wonder if he had a clue as to where I was coming up with all of my lines!

We passed a car with a blown-out engine, actually looking like a bomb had gone off in the engine block, as something had obviously exploded there. I wasn't sure what had happened, but with all of the intrigue that happens in London, I can't help but wonder if that was an actual spy assassination attempt or something.

When we finally got to Oxford Circus, and got to the point where we needed to part ways to take different trains, we got a little more flirty than normal, and although I almost expected him to give me a kiss on each cheek (as we had been doing all weekend), I was surprised when he instead leaned down and gave me a quick peck on the lips. He then gave me a wink and a smile and said, "Have a good night, trouble..." How it makes me laugh when he calls me that.

Got home and texted him to say I was home safely, and we went back to exchanging texts while I worked on a spreadsheet for the Witty Windsor Boy. As I told him, I'm a very good friend to Sophie, to which he replied, "That is an understatement." Finally, after a bit more texting back-and-forth, he begged off to get some sleep, and so I wished him some very sweet dreams, after a wonderful weekend together.

No comments:

Post a Comment