
With one more day to go before I had to return to work, I figured I would do tons of exciting things. Instead I mainly cleaned my flat and wasted time on the internet. Oh well, at least it was a very relaxing day!
I thought about calling my parents, but then remembering that it was a US friend's birthday, decided to give her a call.
While I was talking to her, I was surprised to hear on Facebook from My Friend's Flatmate. While I was home over Christmas, my friend Cookie had a night at home with her flatmates with quite a bit of wine, and while I was having a laughing chatting conversation with her, I suddenly got a friend-request from her flatmate, who I had last met back in May at her engagement party. He then engaged me in conversation as well, and invited me to a dinner party they might be having on New Year's Day.
Now of course that didn't happen (not like I would really have been up for it anyway), but now he was writing to apologize, and asked if he could take me out for drinks to make up for it. Awww! Now of course this is probably what he'd wanted to do all along, and while it might be weird that a guy I'd met in May was only asking me out now, I just decided to go with it. One of my New Year's resolutions has been to make it easier for boys to ask me out, so when he said that, I said, "Sounds great!"
Now that I already had one boy on the line, you can imagine my surprise when suddenly on chat, up popped the Tall South African! Okay, so I hadn't exactly wanted to be encouraging after the whole incident on New Year's Day, but I was curious. This boy definitely was persistent, at least!
So after I finished my phone conversation and made my plans with My Friend's Flatmate, I turned my attention to the Tall South African. We continued chatting far too late into the night, until he finally said he was off of work the next day and might be coming to London (he lives outside the city), and asked what time I got off of work and asked for my number. Pretty quickly, he sent me a text so I had his number, and finally at around 1:30 AM finally sent me off to bed. I couldn't believe how much time I had spent chatting to him, or how much I had enjoyed it.
The next day however, an incredible storm hit London, with gale force winds and rains like I've never seen outside a hurricane. To tell you the truth, I wouldn't have come into London on a day like that, so after not hearing from the Tall South African all day, I wondered if we would get together in the evening after all.
I still hadn't heard from him by 5:30 PM, and I was getting annoyed with feeling like I was waiting by the phone (I HATE that), so I picked it up and texted him. Dammit, I know the girl is supposed to let the boy call her, but I wanted to know if I had any plans. After all, there was still time for me to go running instead.
Luckily he responded right away, and it turned out that indeed, he had not come into the city due to the weather. (Gee. Thanks for letting me know.) I was annoyed that he hadn't let me know sooner, but at least now I knew that I was free to go running. So I changed into my running kit whilst exchanging flirty text messages with the Tall South African, and headed out for the run.
When I arrived, Oxford Boy was there, and was so excited to see me that he wrapped me up into the biggest hug, he was so happy to see me. And then while talking he kept holding me close, not letting me go. I was so happy to see him too, it felt good, just to be there with him. And I got the bonus excitement of finding out that Dan, this Scottish lawyer-guy who moved to Jersey a year or two ago, was back in London. Dan always liked me because I was one of the few clever girls who could match wits with him (indeed, as soon as he saw me he started asking me for help with a crossword puzzle he was working on), and I him for the good banter. It was such a shame he drank and smoked too much however!
We set off on the run, and about halfway through I lost the trail, and so just went back to the pub. Once there, because it is January, I got myself a soda water and lime for £1.50. It's funny how in January, nobody is drinking...
When everybody returned, I realised that I had not considered what would happen when I saw Ginger Lawyer Guy again, after he put the moves on me and kissed me at the last run before Christmas. I know I like to think I'm so unflappable, but I suddenly realised I was totally avoiding him, as I had no idea how to face him. How does one act cool after that?
Since nobody was drinking, and I was feeling tremendously awkward about Ginger Lawyer Guy, I decided to leave at around 9:30pm, excessively early for a running club night. As soon as I made a move to leave however, Oxford Boy insisted on seeing me out, which got the whole group gathered up to leave, and then I ran into Ginger Lawyer guy right as everyone was leaving the pub. Okay, so no avoiding the awkward situation, let's just get through it... He wished me a Happy New Year and we chatted banalities about our respective holidays, but in truth I just had a smile plastered on my face and I couldn't quite meet his eye. It felt much like the red flush I felt when playing the board game a few days before, having learned of the Tall South African's dalliance after I left the party. I feel like I'm getting good at just plastering smiles on my face these days to try to get through my embarrassment.
Oxford Boy walked me as far as our paths joined, and then gave me a kiss on each cheek so I could head the rest of the way back to the Tube and head home.
When I got home, I fired up the laptop (it was still so early in the evening), and almost immediately the Tall South African popped up online wanting to chat with me. I ended up conversing with him for two hours, and I was surprised at how quickly the time passed. For a guy who doesn't want to do relationships, he sure likes to talk to me quite a lot...
Finally got sleepy and finished our conversation to head to bed. No idea why that boy likes talking to me so much, but sounds like he really did miss not seeing me this evening!
No comments:
Post a Comment