Saturday, 14 May 2011

Cookie's Engagement Party

It took me an hour to make it down to Clapham South, but eventually I did make it to my friend Cookie's place, where we were all gathering to celebrate her engagement to her boyfriend (now fiancee)!

I arrived at the place, and joined everyone crowded in the kitchen, chatting and making conversation. It was a real case of "his friends" and "her friends", as we struggled to cross the divide between the two sides. I had an okay time talking to folks I knew from our running club, but by 9:30 I was thinking about making a move, and perhaps actually making it to a second party that I was supposed to go to that evening.

So I suppose that it was excellent timing that, just as I was thinking about leaving, that the one guy I'd noticed in the entire place who seemed rather cute (i.e. not wearing a worn-out t-shirt over jeans with holes in them) decided to use the opportunity to introduce himself. Turns out, he was rather nice, charming, and had a brother who was married to an American girl in New York.

I had a nice time chatting with him, and luckily he stayed with me even as other people moved in and out of our conversational circle, just always talking to me. At one point he even had to leave as people were calling to him out in the hallway, but then zoomed right back in on me when he returned to the kitchen.

The next morning I got a text from Princess saying, "Did I detect some chemistry last night? :)" Damn that man! Who knew he was so observant?

Still, I think I may have played it about right, as I can still always ask Cookie about him later without over-committing myself. Because I do remember her telling me about one of her flatmates bringing home a girl who had overly-loud sex, and I do wonder about a guy who told me he didn't have £300 extra to spend on tickets for the Olympics, and who can only afford to live in a share house in the middle of nowhere. (Okay, so perhaps he's actually excessively thrifty like me, but even I manage to live more in Central London...)

We'll just have to see what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment