Monday, 5 September 2011

Last Day in Edinburgh


I did my best to get up early despite my late bedtime the night before, but when my alarm went off at 8 AM (and both cats were already sitting on top of me), I just couldn't quite seem to get up and moving. Although I managed to get myself up out of bed to feet them, I too easily fell back into it, and it was really 10 AM before I was properly up and rolling.

I spent the morning mostly getting myself sorted, from packing my bags to washing dishes, as I really wanted to leave the place in good shape for my friends when they returned. But at last at 1:30 I had everything ready to go, so I took off on another run along the Waters of Leith Walkway.

This time I took my iPhone, and took the chance to pause along the way to snap photos of the pretty scenery as I ran by. I properly made it all of the way to Leith this time, which satisfied me. It felt like a good run, I burned 1,645 calories, and when I did the proper mileage on mapmyrun.com, I discovered I'd covered about 7 miles exactly.

I got a quick little bit of work done, but before long it was time to head to the train station. I cut it a bit closer with the time than I had anticipated, but I still managed to board the train and find my seat with 10 minutes to spare.

For reasons that are still a bit unclear to me, when I booked my tickets, for this journey the First Class fare was £10 cheaper than the Standard Class fare. In order to save money, I was therefore compelled to travel first class on this trip.

At first it was just the obvious things, like big, wide comfy seats and free wifi. But then I discovered that it also included free food (fancy sandwiches and quiches), drinks (I may have had a few G&Ts), and people constantly coming by to offer you tea or coffee. And everything was served on REAL places with real cutlery. I have to say, I will definitely be watching out for cheap First Class fares again in the future!

The one thing I will say about train travel compared to plane travel, is that boy is it hard to use the bathroom on a train! While a plane feels almost motionless in the sky, a train rattles and shakes and tilts and turns, until you are literally hanging onto the disable grab bars for dear life as you try to stay on the toilet. Got back to my seat as quickly as I could, because I didn't want to hang out there any longer than I had to!

No comments:

Post a Comment