Saturday, 3 September 2011

Going for a Run


When I first came up to Edinburgh, I had this grand idea that with no other commitments in the evenings, I was going to go running all of the time and get super fit. That didn't exactly happen, but after making some preliminary explorations along the Waters of Leith Walkway earlier in the week, I was determined to go for a proper run along it.

My friend Arleen, who was in town visiting her boyfriend, had suggested we might go for tea at around 5 PM, but I figured if I set off at 3, I would still be back in plenty of time. What I hadn't counted on was how scenic and beautiful the run would be, and how much I would enjoy getting out to stretch my legs. (I even stopped to do some yoga in Downward Facing Dog along the way, as my hamstrings REALLY needed the stretch). I also found that I could run with keys, money, and practically anything else I would need tucked in my sports bra, which allowed me to really run in the way I never can with a backpack or things jingling in my pockets.

It was funny, as I set out intending to follow a very much walk-run-walk-run pattern, but I didn't find it all that hard to keep up a steady running pace. Which made me laugh at one point when a guy out pushing his baby in a stroller blocked my path as I came running along, and he apologized for slowing up my run, forcing me to take a break. Me, the lazy runner who ALWAYS takes breaks!

Came back to the flat to discover that Arleen had to cancel (she's been having "issues" with her boyfriend, although she's a bit of a drama queen so that's not entirely surprising), but that was okay as I'd gotten in my run anyway, and it meant I was at home to see the most spectacular rainbow out my window in the evening. What a beautiful day in Edinburgh!

No comments:

Post a Comment