Saturday, 11 September 2010

Sleeping off the Jet Lag

At some point, I became vaguely aware that the cabin staff were serving breakfast, but it's always just a croissant on these flights, and never worth it. So I just tried to keep sleeping as much as I could, until it was obvious that we were just about to land, and so I woke up for the landing.

Quite a rough landing, as we bounced once on the runway before settling down. (Should I also note that the pilot had sounded impossibly young when he came on the loudspeaker? Ah well, we got there safely). I turned on my phone when we were allowed to, and almost wondered if there might be some messages from that boy, as perhaps he didn't realise that my phone wouldn't work whilst I was in the US. So I had a moment of excited anticipation as I turned it on, and then....nothing. Not a single text, missed, call, no word at all. {Sigh!} I suppose I should have anticipated that, but still I'd been holding out a glimmer of hope...

Made it through immigration in a flash (I love you, IRIS!) and only had to wait about 10 minutes for my bag. Then got on the Tube, switched at Earl's Court, caught the train to Olympia almost right away, and was home by about 1 PM, in time to actually make it to an afternoon conference call I'd tentatively confirmed.

Of course, I don't remember a darn thing from that conference call, and remember even less from the one following it, where I was so exhausted I lay down on the couch and listened with half an ear while I tried to stay awake. Finally, when the call was over, I properly gave up and just went to bed.

Although to my credit, before I totally flopped into bed, I saw cards out everywhere and remembered that it had been my flatmate's birthday whilst I was gone. Luckily I'd gotten her present ages ago, so I whipped out a card, left the present on the table, and had it all waiting for her when she got home!

I slept until about 10 PM, and thought about trying to just keep sleeping, but instead got up, chatted a bit with Emily, and told her all about the boy who doesn't call. Got some sympathy, listened to her stories about how her relationship is going perfectly, and then eventually crashed back into bed. I guess travel takes it out of you more than you know, I was definitely keen to get some more sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment