Thursday, 16 September 2010

Lansdowne 75th Dinner


Tonight I was due to be going with my friend Sara to a black-tie dinner at the Lansdowne Club. I wasn't going with the usual people, but Sara's friend Natasha, who is a member I've met a few times at polo, was organizing a table so I figured why not go along? After all, the Lansdowne always seems like a good crowd and I have good fun there.

So you can imagine my startled surprise when I arrived, and almost everyone there appeared to be over 60 years old. Apparently this was not a Younger Members event like I was used to at the Lansdowne, but this was a regular event for the general club populace!

Still, never one to be cowed by an unusual audience, although I didn't know a soul there, I struck up a conversation with an elderly gentleman and his wife, who turned out to be quite lovely. Made for some amusing conversation, and when Sara arrived she joined in, and we had a nice time chatting until it was time to go in to dinner.

Once arrived in the ballroom for dinner however, we were in for another surprise. Sara and I found our seats, but then nobody else came to the table! Our host was nowhere to be seen (now nearly 8 PM for a 7 PM start), and the two of us were just sitting by ourselves. Eventually we were joined by another couple, although the four of us made for a sorry show on a table big enough for 10. Then then even moved over a random Australian chap to join us (although he kept nipping out for cigarettes, which definitely offended my sensitive nose!

Still, whilst sitting by ourselves at a black-tie dinner should have been a terrible experience, I was surprised how much I enjoyed just getting a chance to talk and catch up with Sara. I was suddenly reminded of why she's such a good friend, because I honestly do enjoy her company. Although I was a bit surprised at how vehemently negative she sounded about men and dating in general, just as though she couldn't handle one more crushing disappointment. Apparently she'd hooked up with her flatmate's best friend (her flatmate's a guy), who her flatmate told her was a "really good guy", and then the guy never even spoke to her again. And she was just flummoxed and frustrated with the men of the world.

I could understand where she was coming from (how many times have I mentioned the silly boy who doesn't call in this blog now?), but I still wished she could tone down the vitriol level, as I'm sure it wasn't helping! Ah well, but perhaps she just needed an opportunity to rant for a bit, in which case I was absolutely happy to provide an outlet.

As well, I found myself immensely enjoying the dinner, as there's really just something about getting all dressed up and going out to a fancy dinner that's just so much....fun! I hadn't realised how much I'd missed it whilst I'd been away in the US, as this was really my scene, and what I'd been so desperate to get back to.

The dinner did go on a bit long, and we were practically falling asleep at the table by the time the guest speaker even took to the podium. However we did make it through a rather charming speech about this guy living at the Lansdowne with his young family, and what it was like to really be "in residence" at the club. Sounded like a surreal and amusing existence...

Finally got home, where I found an e-mail from my potential landlord. As though I hadn't been feeling uneasy about this already, now the guy was saying he'd prefer if I could supply my own bed, and that he wanted me to provide a £200 "cash holding" deposit when we met. Basically, I think that sometimes you have to go with your gut, and my gut is telling me to run.

Such a pity though, I'd been liking the idea of no longer having to look for a place, and now it's back to the drawing board. Oh well!

No comments:

Post a Comment