Friday, 17 September 2010

Caledonian Drinks


My friend JS had sent out a last-minute invite for drinks at the Caledonian on Facebook, and so it seemed as good a way as any to spend a Friday night. He'd promised a good mix of old and new faces, so I was keen to come along, assured it would be a good crowd.

When I arrived, I found myself talking a lot to Fiona and Sohail (old faces), and actually getting into a hysterical conversation with them and JS about club stereotypes. At one point I found myself laughing so hard I swear I think I nearly peed my pants, JS's take on boys from the RAC was so spot-on. It's funny how club stereotypes can be so true in so many ways!

Sohail then insisted on introducing me to a boy from the O&C he'd just met, although he had to dither on introducing me for a bit, as he'd already forgotten the chap's name! Yet soon enough it came back to him, and he introduced me to S.

S was tall, had long brown hair and a beard, and the most intense blue eyes. Turns out he was from the O&C (from Jesus College, Cambridge), and had just started getting involved in club events. He got me a drink, I got him a drink, and I found myself really drawn in by his amusing chat and twinkling smile. Once again, a nice reminder about all of the other boys out there..

S is the one on the left. Not a bad looker


Although I ended up spending the majority of the evening with S, we did circulate a bit, so I was continually impressed by the number of people who kept coming in waves through the door. Every time I turned around, someone else was offering to get me a drink, so it turned out to be an exceptionally inexpensive evening. The one time I explicitly tried to buy a round of drinks (for myself and S) the bartender just poured the drinks and walked away, never once coming back to take payment no matter how patiently I stood there with my money. Finally I just gave up and put my money away, as it just didn't seem worth the effort to demand that the bartender allow me to pay! I shall absolutely have to buy the boys of the Caledonian a drink at another point however...

Still, I suppose I'm cheap because I don't drink that much, so at the end of the evening when many people were quite deep in their cups, I was quite clear-headed and found myself whipping the crowds into some frenzied laughter with some witty and clever comments. Seriously, I suppose I had an easy audience (it's not that hard to make drunk people laugh), but I swear there are some times when it's good to have your wits about you, as suddenly you look remarkably funny and clever, to always have witty rejoinders right at the tip of your tongue, dancing about in verbal wordplay like it's an easy game you play. And of course, I'm such a ham, I will do almost anything to make people laugh!

Had a good chat with Megan, the girl who gave me such invaluable advice about my trip to Australia, and she mentioned that I could return the favour for an upcoming trip she was making to Chicago. She was with a boy who I assumed was her boyfriend, who I got into a silly conversation with, and when they left he asked me for my card so that he could get in touch with me later. Did so, although didn't think much of the whole thing.

I was talking to an American guy at one point, who actually wasn't a bad looker, but I remember not being all that taken with him, although in retrospect I can't remember why. I suppose that's sometimes just how it is...

I also ended up chatting with DJ who was drunkenly ranting about how he and some of the guys were going to go get some turf and turf the front room of their flat in the morning. Yes, like with live grass. Indoors. In their living room. I doubt it happened in the end, but it was really funny hearing him excitedly raving about it. It was definitely one of those great evenings to be sober while everyone else was drunk, because then you could remember all of the silly things they said the next morning.

Finally at 1:30 AM, there was a core group that was talking about going clubbing, but I knew I wasn't going anywhere other than home after I walked out of the front doors of the club. S still seemed to be enjoying my company, but at this point I could tell he was far too gone in his cups to appreciate my company specifically, he was more just enjoying female company in general. Hence not a special boy for me, and time for me to simply catch a cab and head home. Although I will admit, he definitely made the evening more fun.

DJ put me in a cab (what a gent!) and I then had the most surreal trip home, because there was apparently some sort of "night hike" going on, I saw so many people in matching t-shirts walking along Hyde Park. I almost wanted to force the cab to stop and pull over to figure out what on earth was going on, but in the end I contented myself with looking it up sometime later. Thank goodness for the internet, which can always provide the answers to weird questions like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment