I woke up at 11 AM this morning, horribly late, having missed Body Pump at the gym. Yet, despite feeling utterly lazy, I couldn't be bothered to really get up and get into action. Instead I made myself breakfast, and continued flipping the pages through the book I was reading, "The Help" by Katherine Stockett.
Finally, I concluded that I couldn't be that lazy, and so went to the gym, where I continued reading my novel on the elliptical machine, the treadmill, the stationary bike, and finally just because I was getting tired, I sat down on a couch in the waiting area and finished it. What a great book!
Mostly, it was just shocking to realise how some people had regarded black people, particularly in the South. And yet some people had been very kind and generous employers, and I think the book did do a very good job at telling the tale of the complicated relationship people must have had with people who were in their house every day.
In the end, I tried putting in some more time on the elliptical machine, but my heart just wasn't in it anymore without a book to read, so at last I just called it quits and went home, although at least having gotten some exercise for the day!
No comments:
Post a Comment