Apologies for not writing anything over the weekend, but nothing really happened. Did errands, went to the gym, nothing very exciting. But hopefully the next few days will make up for it...
Last night was the usual Tuesday run, and this time I knew that Cute Non-Drinking Guy would be there. Yet when he arrived, I was collecting money from people for the run, so I didn't really get a chance to talk to him, and I felt kind of bad about that, as he does seem a bit lost when not able to talk to me. Still, he got on okay, and after a bit I was able to meet up with him and talk to him like normal.
Throughout the run, we ran and kept pace a bit, and then actually spent some time walking together, where I teased him about his long stride due to his height, and how he could totally beat me in a game of basketball. Yet, even as we walked and talked, I realised something my friends pointed out, which is that I make him laugh, but does he make me laugh? I think I just enjoy the adulation, he actually isn't quick-witted enough to keep up with me.
It was quite a long run, and I'd estimate that we did about six miles before we made it back to the pub. However once there, I asked Cute Non-Drinking Guy to get me a water, and as soon as he did, he gestured towards the upstairs even though I was talking to someone else, sort of that easy expectation that "Of course you're coming with me, right?"
So we did get into our usual post-run chat, and I have to say I decided to turn the conversation towards dating and asking people out, just to tease him a bit. I told him about the guy who asked me out last week, and how British men seem to rely on alcohol to get together with women, yet since Cute Non-Drinking Guy doesn't drink, how does he do it? He just laughed and made no reply, and then did the same when I was later then joking about him asking guys out....most straight guys I think would be quick to correct the assumption that they might be gay, so perhaps Cute Non-Drinking Guy IS gay? Wouldn't have been the first time my gaydar was off...
And then we got to talking about not only does he not drink, but he also doesn't drink cola, coffee, tea, or anything caffinated. And suddenly I started thinking about the whiskey tasting that I'm looking forward to and the 25-year old I'm hoping to see there. And another friend's point that, "Wouldn't dating a bloke who doesn't drink be rather....boring?"
Given that my own father doesn't drink, and I'm sick and tired of boys who drink to excess, I'd thought the non-drinking thing was rather cool. Yet I have to admit, what I'm looking for is probably a man like my brother, who brews his own beer, who will appreciate a good Malbec, and is always good fun to have a Magic Hat No. 9 with on a hot summer's day. He never drinks too much, but he always enjoys these little pleasures in life. What fun would it be to be with a man who denied himself even the merest bits of hedonism?
So we chatted and joked and had fun throughout the rest of the evening, until after the circle was over and he went home. I then always use this as my "second stage" of the evening, talking to Cookie and others, until I realised at one point that it was 10:30 PM and I was one of the last people remaining. Why on earth is it that I have so much difficulty extracting myself from conversation and going home? And of course, because I'd been talking to Cute Non-Drinking Guy throughout the evening, I hadn't had a drop of alcohol, but rather had just been kicking back the lime-and-soda-waters.
Finally went home with the conclusion that Cute Non-Drinking Guy is a really nice guy, but probably gay (or has other issues). And then found myself very much looking forward to Thursday, where I'll likely have a bit too much wine, talk with old friends, and perhaps see the 25-year old again. Can hardly wait!
No comments:
Post a Comment