Wednesday, 11 November 2009

The Weekly Run

After two days to just rest and recover from the weekend, it was time for my Tuesday run again. It's finally been getting really cold, so I dressed in my long lycra running trousers and a long-sleeved shirt, but because that left me all in black, I threw a green tank top over it to hopefully increase my visibility in the dark. It was funny though, as whilst I was dressing to go for my run, I had the thought, "I'll bet Cute Non-Drinking Guy is there tonight." Which didn't make any sense, as it's still a week too early for Cute Non-Drinking Guy to make his monthly return, but wouldn't you know it? Shortly after I arrived, a very familiar face was smiling at me. How did I know he would be there? ESP, I guess...

Even though I was totally ensconced in a corner talking to friends, I immediately jumped up to go over and talk to him, and only him. Who cares if it's overly forward? This guy doesn't seem to pick up on such subtle signals anyway, and I just enjoy his company.

So got to talking about what we'd been up to in the past month, so I told him stories about going to high table at Christ Church. We laughed about how Oxford is such a wonderful bubble, and how we all struggle to adjust to real life again after leaving Oxford. We talked a bit about dancing and his crazy dance class, and too quickly it was time for the run to start.

I kept the pace reasonably well at the start, although I was really pushing myself throughout the run to keep up. Finally at the last bit, with a few other girls we just cut out and headed straight back to the pub!

I was at least at this point looking forward to possibly talking to Cute Non-Drinking Guy after the run, so it was a bit sad when he came and sought me out, and said, "I'm actually going to run to dance class now." So that at least explains why he was there on a week when I didn't expect him! I teased him about how much his dance partner was probably not going to appreciate that (he was absolutely soaked with sweat), and he laughed, then insisting that we do air-kisses so as to not get all sweaty on each other. And then too quickly, he was dashing down the street, on his way to dance class. I will never, ever understand that boy, as much as I do like him...

So then it was back to simply hanging out and socializing with people, although nobody seemed as interesting to talk to after Cute Non-Drinking Guy, so I just took up the money list from Second Lady and started doing more money collecting... Ended up talking to Princess about how a co-worker of ours broke up with her boyfriend (a pity, because this one had seemed serious), talking to Lex, the guy who was leaving, and then to some random American pilot who was in town on a layover and who had decided to come to the hash. Princess teased me about me leaving with The Australian on Saturday, saying, "The Australian was totally into you that night!" Yes, I know, but I still insisted on going home alone. As I've said before, I'm not that kind of girl...

Finally, I walked back to the Tube station with Cookie, who also asked about The Australian, and confessed that I'd been feeling frisky and tempted, but luckily (or unluckily?) calm sobriety and rational thought had ruled the day. He is a fit and attractive guy, but if something were to happen, I'd rather it were not just a random hook-up. After all, if it's good, why waste it on only happening once? I'd rather have a more regular playmate, as at the very least perhaps it would help me avoid getting into so much trouble!

I then parted from everyone else, and caught the Tube back to Shepherd's Bush. As I exited the station, I could feel this random guy absolutely staring at me, so I glanced over at him to see if I could figure out why on earth he was staring at me so much. When I looked over at him, I of course ended up looking him directly in the eye, so I gave him a nervous smile. Strangely, he took this as encouragement, and so approached me asking, "I know this probably sounds totally random and weird, as you don't know me at all, but would you consider joining me for a drink?"

OMG, what is it about me that inspires people to ask me out on the Tube????

He actually seemed like a nice, normal, and well-spoken fellow, but let's face it, it was nearly midnight and I was dressed in running kit, and looking forward to getting home. So I apologized and declined, to which he said, "At least then can I get your number and take you out another time, perhaps?"

Jeepers, this guy was persistent. But let's review the situation, shall we? I'm totally sweaty after having been running for the past hour, and a hard run too (avg HR of 168, max of 179, and 764 calories burned), have no make-up left on (sweat it all off), and I'm wearing ridiculous tight lycra running pants. So this guy has absolutely nothing to go on to figure out if I would be a good date other than my physical appearance, and this is what makes him so persistently want to take me out?

I really just don't understand. How on earth can I have some men tripping over themselves with me, while I can't get Cute Non-Drinking Guy to do so much as to ask me out for coffee? I'm just absolutely flummoxed by that one.

In the end, I declined even the offer of my number and a later drink, for while he seemed like a nice enough guy, I knew in the long-term I wouldn't be interested. Just not my type. But I thanked him for the compliment, regardless.

I don't imagine myself to be any sort of stunningly attractive girl by any means, particularly given how I can't get Cute Non-Drinking Guy to do anything other than talk to me for an hour a month. Still, it's all awfully strange, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment