Wednesday, 31 October 2012

Halloween Drinks

This evening was the "Last Wednesday of the Month" drinks at the club, which lately have really been well-attended and going from strength to strength.  Maybe 40-50 people attended in the end?  At one point we took over the entire bar, which was really neat.  I love how many people keep wanting to show up, and how many new people there are each week.  

When I arrived, first I had to sort out my bill, as I accidentally left the club after drinking whiskey with the Tall South African without paying my bill!  The bar staff just laughed at me however, and seemed to find it all terribly amusing.  

Otherwise I was doing my usual "Younger Member's Chairman" thing, going around talking to everyone.  And there was this young chap there who claimed to only ever be at the club to play squash, he'd never been to an event "upstairs" before.  And he was cute and good-looking, and I was being my usual clever and witty self, charming the pants off the boy (as I so often do).  And so he was getting a distinct twinkle in his eye, when he asked me how long I'd been living in London.  When I told him "five years", he just burst out without thinking, "My goodness, you must be OLD!!"

At least as soon as he said it, he seemed totally mortified upon realising what he'd just said, and upon hearing how old I actually am, protested, "Well, I was so surprised because you certainly don't look it!"

The Tall South African laughed and laughed when I told him the story the next morning, and added, "To be fair I thought you were 25 for ages!!!  Then you told me about your degrees so I was like ok, maybe 27".  

Man, some days it really sucks being over 30!  (Because he sure was cute!!  Alas, only 25 years old...)

I sorted out Kellogg Boy's application to the club by getting a good friend to sign for him (who had never met him), and then dropped that off on my way out of the club.  At which point I discovered that I had missed a call from the Young Dutchman just 10 minutes prior, but when I tried to call him back, I got no answer.

I then hopped in a cab over to the Caledonian Club, as they were having drinks as well, and although it was late, I thought I might as well stop in.  Once there, I was greeted by the Young Scotsman, who told me I was looking lovely, as he always does.

I was most surprised though, when a French girl came up to me, and instantly recognised me, remembered where I worked, and knew a ton about me, whereas I couldn't even recall having met her ever before.  Apparently we'd met a party I went to in August hosted by a French friend of mine.  When I remarked on how on earth she had recognised and remembered me, she told me, "Well, you do look quite striking."  What an interesting compliment.

I also found myself in quite an interesting conversation with a guy I've always liked and respected, but who I haven't caught up with in quite a while.  And we somehow got on to the topic of careers, at which point he asked, "You don't work for Google?  For some reason I thought you did already."  And then upon hearing that I was still working for my existing company, proceeded to lecture me on why it was such a waste of my time and talents.  He may have a point.  

Finally caught the last train home, having not had a single drink at the Cally, but think overall that's a good thing!  

No comments:

Post a Comment