 |
| With the chap who tuned organs at Westminster |
This evening was a dinner at the Farmer's Club, the first Inter-Club event I'd been to in quite some time. I hadn't been out all week, so was glad for the opportunity to get out again, and see what I'd been missing.
 |
| Getting a speech before dinner |
I arrived a bit late, so only had time for one glass of champagne before dinner, and then we were called in for dinner. They did a rotation for the men halfway through dinner, so I at first found myself seated next to a farmer (quirky young chap who I think was more used to crops than formal dinners), and secondly with a chap who was apparently working on tuning organs at Westiminster Abbey. Quite peculiar, no hope for either, but fine enough to pass the time. The food was the true star of the evening, where I had to admit that the menu of all-British produce was quite spectacular.
All was not lost on the company however, as I did find myself seated near a girl from the Club who had been at the Reverse Dinner two weeks ago, and was filled with praise for it. We talked a lot about arranging seating plans, organising events, and plans for the club going forwards. All in all, some pleasant conversation that got me excited about the year ahead, even if I was totally bored with much of the rest of the evening.
Finally after dinner we retired to the bar, and I made polite conversation with a few people, but I just had to confess, my heart wasn't in it. Particularly given that I knew I had a gym session in the morning, I made my excuses, and headed home. Perhaps excessively early to leave an evening before 10:30 PM, but I figured it was best to call it a night than just to stay and be bored!
 |
| Some of the crowds at dinner |
No comments:
Post a Comment