Tonight was a Reverse Dinner being held for the Younger Members at the O&C. Basically the idea was that it would be an entire dinner served backwards, starting with port and dessert, and finally finishing with a champagne reception.
I arrived at the club, and went up to the bar to find Tristan and Doro sitting together. My two favourite people! Greeted them with much enthusiasm. I joined them for a...."nightcap", I guess?
When we thought it was time for dinner, we went downstairs, where I ran into Marjanne, sitting in the lobby. (They'd told her to go upstairs to the bar, but the silly girl didn't want to, for some reasons. Who knows how long she might have been sitting there if we hadn't come down?)
Yet when we came down for dinner, they told us that we were now in the "after-dinner drinks" stage, and that we should go back up to the bar for another half-hour. So we went back upstairs, and I managed to get the group into a big table in the corner, and then we were shortly joined by Des, a friend of mine from Balliol, who I hadn't seen since we'd graduated five years ago! It was positively lovely to see him again, and I found that he remains the same sweet and gentle guy that he's always been.
After our required half-hour, we came downstairs, and I found that I was seated in-between Marjanne and this girl I've been stuck with at numerous other events who I can't stand due to her continual insistence on under-dressing for events. Indeed, she'd brought along a young man from her work, who instantly seemed mortified to realise that it was a black-tie event and he was the only one wearing a jacket and tie. He immediately told us all, "I asked her REPEATEDLY about the dress code, and even asked her directly if it was black-tie?" It was unfortunate, because he seemed so thoroughly embarrassed, and I have to wonder why she so determinedly ignores dress codes, when they make everyone around her so uncomfortable?
Finally, we sat down to dinner, and the staff came around pouring the port. We then had the Royal Toast as the first thing, which was kind of funny, as I'm so used to everyone jumping to their feet and offering a rather boisterous "To the Queen!" exclamation. Yet, when it was the first thing of the evening, everyone was quite reserved, which made it all that much funnier
Dinner turned out to be creme brulee, welsh rarebit (it's rather cheesey), guinea fowl, and then fruit and sorbet. Obviously they were being kind to us with the menu, for although that menu could have worked forwards, it was also not too difficult to stomach backwards. Much different that the last reverse dinner I went to!. We finally ended the meal with the grace (in Latin, of course) at the end.
We then moved upstairs for the champagne reception and canapés. So many of the canapés looked lovely, although I was really quite full at this point! I spent most of my time talking to Des and Marjanne, as it was particularly nice to catch up with Des.
Of course, what I found most funny was that when Des left the room, Marjanne had the EXACT SAME question and comment that everyone has about Des.
The Question: "Is Des gay?"
The Comment: "He seems like such a gentle person."
I have to laugh because Tim had the exact same comments about Des when I mentioned I was going to see him ("Ah Des, wouldn't hurt a fly! And is he gay?") and Zhan as well. Apparently Des gives everyone the same impression. And I'm always intrigued that everyone seems to use the word "gentle" with Des. After all, it's not a word I frequently use to describe people, but yet it's what everyone uses with Des.
Although I don't know the particular's of Des' sexuality, I have to agree that he gives off a vibe of not being interested in women. But then again, I haven't exactly seen Des show any particular fondness for men either, and so I sometimes wonder if he's of a third type: The ones who are just close to their families.
After all, the first time Des was ever apart from his twin brother was when he came to Oxford. Even now, Des lives with his sister. And it's basically I think that whatever his innate preferences one way or the other, he doesn't have quite the urgency that the rest of us do to seek out another connection, because he already has an incredibly close relationship already.
Ah well, what does it matter? As long as Des is happy (and he does seem to be doing well), I think he can be whatever he wants to be. So much fun to see him again, and I think I'll have to try to take him up on his invitation to visit him in Dublin at some point!
So finally after the champagne reception, we retired to the bar, where I continued to talk to Des and Marjanne, until finally Marjanne decided to head home. We were then joined by two random guys in suits and ties, and I noticed that everyone kept buying champagne and that my glass was continually refilled. So I have to admit I missed the last Tube, but assured Des that I was getting myself straight into a cab outside the club, no trying to take the night bus for me. So with that, he kissed me on each cheek and sent me off, safely into a cab and home to bed!
No comments:
Post a Comment