Saturday, 10 July 2010

Tristans BBQ

Once again I'd over-scheduled myself, and promised to go to two barbecues on the same day. Given that it was a beautiful, sunny day, it seemed like a perfect time to be enjoying the sunshine and some outdoor grilling. I'd originally promised to go to a BBQ that was mostly going to be a bunch of people from the hash, but when Tristan at the last minute said that he was having one at his place, I had to admit that his seemed to have a slightly better claim. (Not just because it was also 20 minutes from my house, much better than the one with the hash people being held on the other side of London!)

I arrived and didn't get an answer at the door, but then quickly figured out that the boys were likely to be around back. Indeed, I found a small crowd there, including Tristan, AS, and JG, all the old boys from Magdalene. (Oh yes, didn't I mention, that to add to all the wonderful awkwardness, JG is the flatmate of Tristan, one of my best friends and a guy I see all of the time? Yes, such is the wonderful awkwardness of hooking up with people from your own college.)

I was surprised also to see a vaguely familiar looking chap there, even if he was sitting around without a shirt on and had the most massive mountain-man beard of any man I've ever seen. But I took a second and then asked, "Is that NH?" Indeed it was, a wonderful character from college days who I hadn't seen in at least five years. What a delight to see him again!!

Tristan then enlisted me and his little sister to chop up some fruit for Pimms, and we then got going on the barbecue. It turned out that JG had gone out shopping at Borough Market, and had made up the most incredible spread of food for us to eat, including venison and boar burgers, some incredible vegetable shiskebabs, and also had baked these brownies that were absolutely heavenly. AS later murmured to me exactly what I was thinking, which was, "Why on earth can't JG get his act together? He's actually a totally amazing guy, being smart, funny, and also a really good cook." Indeed, I had to sigh as I watched him across the way, as he'd just be ideal if it weren't for the smoking and drinking...

JG had also done quite some beer tasting and had brought an incredible selection of specialty brews, and had me having some select Trappist beers which were quite good (if also quite strong!) Still, we mostly talked in awkward little bits, as I struggled to generate some regular conversation, and then remembered, "Oh that's right, even though I'm attracted to you, I don't really LIKE you..." He spent most of the rest of the evening chatting with some random girls, but I suppose I deserved to be ignored like that. Poor JG, I just can't get it straight with him!

Of course, what also throws me for a loop is how much I actually DO like Tristan. After the horrific experience with Dr T, I'm well put-off trying anything with friends, but I just had to note what a great host Tristan was, classically failing to enjoy his own party as he saw to the comfort of his guests. But when he did find the time to stop and chat, as always I enjoyed his conversation more than most anyone's.

Yet, all of those Magdalene boys are gentlemen of a classic order, for while when talking to AS, he asked what sort of drink I'd like, and I casually mentioned I'd like a G&T. Alas, while there was Sapphire on the table, it turned out that the tonic was upstairs in the flat (instead of out in the back garden). So AS got the keys off of one of the boys, went into the flat, found the tonic, and even chopped up some limes, and then came back down with it all, an incredible amount of effort just to make me ONE DRINK. Then, when I just idly mentioned that it was too bad there wasn't any ice, AS then went BACK UP two flights of stairs, and came back with a bag of ice, all just to put two ice cubes in my drink!! Seriously, I am so spoiled by the boys I know, they are all such wonderful gentlemen!

Of course, part of this may have been an indirect effort on the part of AS to impress his girlfriend, who I was chatting to while he undertook these Herculean labours to make my G&T. I have to admit that she was utterly charming, and I think AS would do well to hang onto her. The two of them together are an absolute delight.

Ali also came and stopped by (unsurprising given that he lives two houses down), and we had a nice chance to catch up and talk about his recent house purchase and upcoming wedding. He eventually begged off as he had to leave and go cook dinner, having really spoken to me the entire time he was there. He even said he'd drag me off and have me over for dinner, except he'd feel bad about stealing Tristan's guests from his party. Once again, the gentlemanly theme continues...

As though running into JG wasn't interesting enough, I was then surprised when Gez showed up. I hadn't seen Gez in over five years, although it was funny because Gez and I had briefly had a "thing" whilst I was at Magdalene. So bizarre, because even now I can't quite remember how it happened, but it was now a bit amusing to be introduced to Gez's wife. So a lot has changed in the past five years!

Gez's wife was absolutely lovely however, and I could imagine just the sort of girl that Gez would go for. (A super-crunchy-granola-back-to-nature type, a wonderfully sweet sort of girl who you imagine will be fine living a life of poverty with an academic, as she seemed just the type to admire her professor-ly husband). So it was rather nice to see how an old friend had turned out after all these years, and rather well it seemed.

I'd had every intention of departing Tristan's BBQ at 8 PM and making my way to this second party, when I got a text on my phone informing me that I was playing in a polo match at 11 AM the next morning. I counted back and did the math, and eventually realised I was going to need to get up at 7 AM the next morning. Instantly, there went all hopes of making it to the next BBQ!! So I texted my regrets, and headed home, trying to be somewhat responsible and get some sleep before the game in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment