I went into the office in the morning to conduct interviews, which thankfully will be my last for a while. One candidate was very nice, if hilariously nervous (every time he picked up a piece of paper, it started shaking, he was trembling so much with nerves!) My other candidate had the most beautiful Irish accent, but furstratingly wouldn't talk! I swear, it was like pulling teeth, trying to get answers out of him, it was as though he didn't quite understand what an interview is supposed to be all about...
Finally, once the work day was over, I made my way up to Hampstead. When I arrived at the station, I spotted a few familiar faces at the station, including Roofie's brother, who I'd met for the first time last week.
The run was really good, a cross-country trek through Hampstead Heath, which was really pretty. For once I didn't have too much trouble keeping up with the rest of the group, as either everyone else was slowed down by the hills (which I didn't have as much trouble with), or I was able to short-cut across open spaces. Admittedly I did run into trouble once at this very steep cliff-side that I never would have made it up without the assistance of a Kiwi guy who stood at the top, hauling everyone up!
I spent most of my time running with Roofie's brother, as every time I turned around, he seemed to be there. It's funny, because he's far too handsome (really devastatingly good-looking), but perhaps not entirely aware of it, as he just seems really nice and good fun. Still, I have to admit to being a bit suspicious of him, as I can't help but wonder, "Why on earth would such a good-looking, funny, nice guy want to hang out with me?" So although I'm confused by it, I can't help but be pleased when he adjusts his pace to run with me for the majority of the run. He's really funny and good fun to keep running with.
The run wasn't without it's trials though, as at one point a woman tripped over a root and fell on her face...and on her glasses! Oh my gosh, there was blood everywhere and she had a huge black-eye...definitely made me glad I wear contact lenses!
We finally got back to the pub (me running with Roofie's brother), and then I spent some time sitting and chatting with Princess and the Giant Australian. Some funny stories about a comedy show they'd been to recently, I think because the comedian couldn't have anticipated what it would be like to have someone like Princess in the audience!
As much as I enjoyed chatting with them however, as people kept wanting to offer me money, I finally had to admit that I needed to do hash cash. So I made the rounds, chatted to people, and then survived the circle (held downstairs in the basement of the pub). Shirtlifter was super-annoying, calling out things during the circle and generally slowing up the action, and then poking me through the railings as I went back up the stairs... I know he likes me and he thinks it's cute, but it's really on the level of the boy who pulls your pigtails when you're in elementary school. I'm really not amused, particularly since I really don't like him very much...
Finally once I'd escaped from the rounds of collecting money, Cookie bought me a drink, so I ended up standing outside talking to her. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy Cookie's company, she really is lovely.
As we were standing there chatting, the Giant Australian said his good-byes and left, although I barely got a chance to talk to him. Oh well, I'm really not that fussed.
As it was getting colder outside, we ended up making our way inside, where Roofie's brother borrowed some money back from Blunder (that he'd just given him for the Pacman run), which he then used to buy me a drink. He's so sweet.
We then end up in a conversation with a guest hasher who started making such off-colour jokes, I was really bothered. Seriously, I know it's the hash, but there are some things that are just not acceptable in mixed company!
Although I hated leaving Roofie's brother, after a while I couldn't take it any more, and I managed to escape the conversation by going to talk to Princess. I wonder if Princess knew about my discomfort, as he was on his way out the door, but stopped what he was doing to talk and even let other people leave without moving from his spot. Just doing what he does so well, focusing all of his attention on me. Whatever my occasional frustrations with Princess, I have to admit I love how he always seems to have time for me.
After a bit, I ended up in a funny conversation with SN, a girl who has started hashing recently, about what we are looking for in men. As we were talking, we spotted Kim, and decided that she needed rescuing from talking to Fat Bastard. She always seems okay with it, talking to the older men of the hash, but I still felt like she needed a break.
Eventually, at 11:30, myself, Kim, Blunder, SN, Lex, and Roofie's brother head for the train, admitting that it's time to go home. I found myself walking along with Roofie's brother, while everyone was walking ahead of us in casual pairs and threes with their arms around each other. I'll admit I would have loved that, to be walking along with my arm around Roofie's brother, but I didn't have the courage to make the first move towards doing it, and I got the sense he felt the same. While for the rest of them, the linking of arms was just a casual thing, for us it wouldn't have felt so casual. Am I a wimp for not just going for it though? Perhaps.
So we all got on the train, and I'll admit I stayed on the train too long with Roofie's brother, but eventually I had to leave the group at Bank. Such a fun night though, with a great run, and great company!
No comments:
Post a Comment