Thursday, 15 July 2010

Traveller's Club Garden Party


This evening was the Garden Party at the Traveller's Club, which I'd been told was one of the highlights of the Inter-Club social calendar, so I was very much looking forward to it.

I have to confess I did something rather terrible however, as I'd originally invited my friend M, but she took so long in getting back to me, that by the time she did, tickets were all sold out. I told her I'd have to see about calling up right before the event and getting something at the last-minute, but in the weeks leading up to the event, I had to field so many calls and requests from M just to chat, that I have to say I suddenly didn't relish the thought of spending an evening baby-sitting my very clingy friend. (Seriously, her problem in relationships is so obvious, I wonder if she's aware of it, she clings like saran wrap!) So, I just never called the club to find out if there were spare tickets. Perhaps not the worst thing ever, as maybe there weren't spare tickets anyway, but I really was looking forward to circulating and chatting with people, I just couldn't stand the thought of having to baby-sit for the evening!

So I made my way to the event, and was pleasantly surprised when I exited the Underground at Picadilly Circus, to spot my friend Caroline standing on a street corner. She was waiting for a colleague of hers, and once he arrived we walked together to the Traveller's Club, the two of them speaking in English for my benefit (although I'm sure they would have much preferred to converse in French about the recent Bastille Day celebrations).

We arrived at the club, where I was surprised at the level of security, as we had to check in once at the coat check, and then again before we entered the garden. It was no surprise that many people blew by the first check and had to be called back, as I've never before been to a club that was quite so strict!

I made my way out to the garden and quickly found myself in conversation with a few people. When I saw another member of the O&C, J, I was once again convinced of the wisdom of my decision to come alone, as J had brought along a young man with a crushing handshake, a weird fondness for his day planner which he clutched in his arms along with his champagne glass (leading to some awkward handshakes) and an overall peculiar manner. In short order, most people left the two of them just to talk to each other...

I found myself in a charming conversational grouping, with Nicole, a girl from Holland who I met a few events ago and whose company I truly enjoy, and JD, a Scotsman from the RAC who is always good company.

After a bit I spotted two boys I'd met previously at the Farmer's Club, so I went over to say hello even though I couldn't remember their names, which seemed to please them actually, that I'd taken the time to say hello despite not remembering their names.

Of course, I would have done well to just confess when I wasn't quite sure on names, for at one point I spotted a chap I knew, and enthusiastically shouted out, "Massimo!" He laughed and asked, "Do you mean, Manolo?" EEEEEP!! Oh dear, indeed I had just gone with an Italian name beginning with M, and gotten it horrifically wrong! I tried to recover with, "At least I displayed the correct level of enthusiasm upon seeing you, right?" which made him laugh.

I also made a similar mistake when a blonde Argentine girl enthusiastically greeted me, making me totally blank. I mean, we've met on multiple occasions before, but we'd only exchanged passing words here and there, and all of a sudden, out of nowhere, she was greeting me as her best friend. "Andrea" popped into my head, but later I remembered that was her surname, her first name was actually "Veronica." I can only hope that she didn't notice, or is too gracious to point that out. I suspect the second option is more likely to be the case, she's such a sweetheart..

I spent some time chatting with Tom, a guy from the Army & Navy Club who always unsettles me and whom I don't quite trust. At least it seemed like a step up then when I got chatting to Sohail, a chap I'd met at the Burns Night Supper at the Caledonian. He's utterly boring (and his conversational skills were worsened by having had too much champagne), but at least Sohail is harmless.

Luckily I was able to circulate away before too long and chat to Gordon and his friend Alexander, who were wrapped up in a conversation about golf. As usual, they figured they must be boring me, not realising how much I can talk about polo, and so I actually find all of the golf chat somewhat interesting.

Although the forecast had called for heavy rain, we made it to the end of the drinks party while still under clear skies, and so then someone suggested we head to the RAC for further drinks and dinner. It was funny as I was chatting with Nicole as I went, and while I hadn't felt like I'd gotten around to chatting to as many people as I would have liked, she exclaimed, "You are so good at circulating! How on earth do you so smoothly exit and enter conversations the way you do?" Given that I thought I'd done a rather poor job of making my way around, I had to laugh, but I suppose in the end she had a point, as I'd managed to have quite a few conversations in the space of an hour and a half.

As the champagne had run out and the evening was coming to an end however, we all decided to head over to the RAC. Once there, Gordon's twin brother got me a drink, and then we all decided to have dinner. It was a great set-up actually, as in the Long Bar of the RAC, they have a sort of "cafteria line" where you can get food, although imagine a VERY high-end cafteria. So I sat with Nichole and Manolo, and had some outstanding roast beef.

We then just mostly stood around talking, and I remember getting into a very funny conversation with Manolo about boys and my frustrations in the summer heat... How sometimes you just want to have some summer fun, but it's harder than you'd think to find a suitable candidate! He was making me laugh my head off as well with silly stories about what he and his mates have been up to... Manolo is always a surprise to me, because he actually got married at 26, had two kids, and is divorced already at 32. So, although he's a great guy, we just bond in friendship, because he's done having kids and I'd still like someone who is open to the idea. Although as such he's sometimes my awful voice of reality, like when in our conversation he pointed out to me, "I think that any man in his mid-30s who wants to be in a serious relationship is probably already in one, because let's face it, a guy like that has a lot of choice open to him." Good point, even if it's sad but true.

I also ran into Bryan, a nice chap I've known for some time now, and learned that he and Caroline had broken up AGAIN. Such a pity, as they're both nice people, and of course it now makes Inter-Club events awkward as they both do the dance of trying to still see their friends while avoiding each other. You realise then, as much as people say these sorts of events are a great way to meet people, it's actually a terrible way to meet people, as you then run risks like these, where everyone is caught in the awkward situation of being friends with both of you and seeing you both all of the time. Oh well, such a the risks we take with romance, I suppose!

Finally the hour grew late, and I realised that if I left right then, I would still make the last Tube home. Given that I was already feeling slightly tipsy, it seemed like a good time to cut out the wine and go home to sleep. So made my good-byes, and headed off, after having had a thoroughly splendid evening out!

No comments:

Post a Comment