Tuesday, 1 March 2011

The Brick Lane Dinner

I went into the office today, because I was due to upgrade my work computer to Windows 7. I went in late, and so I finally had to grab some time at 2 PM to try and make the upgrade, at which point my computer suddenly froze in the middle of the upgrade. When I finally realised it was frozen and called the tech support people about it, they said, "Hmmmm....looks like we might have to rebuild your computer. You DID back-up everything before you started the upgrade, right?"

Oh crap. Who ever backs anything up? So I lied and told them to do what they could, and they told me to leave my computer with them overnight, and if I was lucky, they might have managed to recover everything by the morning.

So I tried to work for the rest of the day on my iPhone (not exactly the same as my laptop!), blagging my way through conference calls.

And then, the most amazing e-mail popped up on my phone. Do you remember that super-cute guy from the drinks reception at Cambridge on Friday? The most handsome man in the room? The one I gave my card to, sure that he would never call? Well, he e-mailed me. To say he was going to be in London tomorrow, and wanted to know if I remembered him, and if he could see me. I re-read the message in wonderment, thinking that there was no way it could be the same boy. That evening I'd just been wearing a dress from Primark, I'd been all flustered from running for the train and with my hair undone, and yet he wanted to see me again?

Well duh, of course I remembered him, and yes, would love to see him!! So I e-mailed him back (after calming down from my heart palpitations), and was thoroughly delighted when he responded within seconds. We had a bit of a back-and-forth going on as I left the office, making my way to join my friends Zhan and Blackie for dinner in Brick Lane. The whole bus/Tube/walking journey, he kept firing mildly flirtatious e-mails back at me, each one leaving me more stunned than the last that this guy would be paying any attention to me at all.

Needless to say, I was in quite a good mood when I arrived at the restaurant, despite having gotten lost on the way and gone for a bit of a walk around East London (a rather dodgy area of town, particularly in the dark). Yet I finally made it to the restaurant, got my order in, and enjoyed a fantastic dinner (for only £9!) as we all caught up. It was only once I was seated that I realised Zhan, Blackie and I had been trying to organize a Brick Lane dinner for the past 6 months, and now suddenly on a whim (we'd only planned it that afternoon), here we all were!

I got to listen to Zhan's tales of flat-hunting and job-searching, and was quite pleased to realise that both were heavily influenced by his girlfriend, who is a lovely girl who seems to recognize what a great guy Zhan is. Later in the evening, we were joined by Blackie's boyfriend, and we got to hear the hysterical tale of how they had gotten trapped in Russia for 52 hours due to the Heathrow airport closures over Christmas, and since they didn't have visas to enter Russia, got stuck in a hotel room for the entire time under armed guard. (And can you imagine being stuck in a hotel room with someone you were dating, just after you'd had your first getaway trip, for 52 hours with nothing to do but talk to each other? I was impressed they were still dating after that experience?)

Overall, fantastic evening with old friends, and one little e-mail that had my face hurting, because I couldn't stop smiling. I hope that whatever happens, I can always remember that feeling, where my heart skipped a beat. May I always remember what it felt like at that moment. I still can’t believe it will go anywhere (he’s too perfect, too good-looking, there must be some fault with him like he’s too young or too Italian), but I just want to enjoy that moment, knowing that a cute boy liked me.

No comments:

Post a Comment