
Boat Race day was great, as I met up with a few Cambridge friends, and we watched the race from Hammersmith, near Furnival Gardens (where they have a big screen for watching the race). Obviously a dissapointing outcome given that I was cheering for Cambridge, but still a great vibe with the crowd.
It was absolute madness down at the riverfront, with people packed about 12 deep from the river's edge. And so when my phone buzzed about 20 minutes before the start of the race, I figured it was one of the friends I'd invited down, who was perhaps trying to find me amidst the crowds. So you can imagine my surprise when it was not any of my friends, but rather DM, a friend of my ex-flatmate's ex-boyfriend (yeah, see if you can figure out that tenuous relationship chain), texting me to say, "I can't see you." Ummm....SHOULD you be able to see me? WTF? I see this guy occasionally at parties and events, and we always chat and get along, and that's why he has my number, but I hadn't even spoken to him in about 4 months. And now he's looking for me? In this crowd? Right now? I seriously almost thought it was a mis-directed text, that he was looking for somebody else.
And so after the race, I was so surprised at this random text, I picked an easily findable spot (under the big screen), and told DM to find me, which he did. And then I said good-bye to my friends, we re-joined his friends, and then he said good-bye to his friends saying, "Yeah, I think the two of us are going to go grab dinner." Ummm, we are? Since when were we the type of friends who grabbed dinner, just the two of us?
Okay, but cool. And let's face it, I like DM, despite his randomness. So despite being a bit puzzled by it all, I was happy enough to go along with it. So we went and found a pub, got ourselves a nice quiet table in the corner, and then he insisted I hold the table while he went and bought us dinner.
And then we sat, had an interesting rambling conversation about vegetarianism and meditating (he's a veggie, and I've been trying lately to eat less meat and be all zen and that crap). He's way far ahead of me on both the vegetarianism and the meditating, but it was just funny to me to be having this conversation with a giant, strapping Australian guy who loves to drink and play sport...and eat veggie burgers. He's a puzzle, alright...
Nothing happened after that, he just suggested we go for a walk, and then after a while noted that it was cold out and that he was tired, so he was going to head home.
When I got home, I found that a FB message I had ignored earlier in the day (my phone was taking forever to load it) was from Dr T, he'd been looking for me at Furnival Gardens that afternoon. Boo, I missed him! (Although unexpectedly found DM, so I suppose on the whole I did well on the cute boy front).
Inspired by my unexpectedly nice afternoon with DM, I texted the Most Attractive Man in the Room. "Just got back from the river's edge after cheering my head off for Cambridge, but still wasn't quite enough against those Dark Blues. {sigh!} I guess there's always next year, right? xx A"
And my goodness is that boy good for my ego, as he responded in less than 30 seconds flat: "Haha yeah.. They did kinda get rinsed, but good day nonetheless! How's things? Been busy organising social events at the club?"
Okay, so I couldn't help but responding, "You know it! End-of-month drinks at the club are on Weds, and the calendar keeps filling up, so I'm never bored! Will be up in Cam in a few weeks to catch up with people, so we'll have to grab a drink then. How's things on your end? xx A"
And once again, the boy is wonderful, replying instantly again. Gosh I love these little back-and-forth chats, because he's so wonderfully eager. "Sounds cool! I can't wait to start getting involved with all of your ents at the club. Everything's good thanks, done w most of my deadlines and moved bank to morgan stanley (from this summer).."
So one last reply: "Ah, Easter term in Cambridge, when all of the work is pretty much done and all there is to do is go punting and drink Pimms! Definitely enjoy, and will have to show you the best parts of London in the summer..."
And just when I feared that the boy might leave me hanging, wishing that I'd been smart enough to leave him wanting more, he wrote: "Hehe exactly ;) Let me know when you're in cam."
Finally for once I realised the need to leave him hanging, and left it at that. One of these days I will learn how to talk to cute boys!
Then, because my day wouldn't be complete without my favourite cute boy, the Young Dutchman called me up on Skype. I was already in bed with my glasses on, but of course he insisted on it being a video chat. But then again, that's the beauty of the Young Dutchman, that I really don't care with him. That's the security of just being friends with someone, and also knowing that he'll love me no matter what I look like.
Had a nice chat, discussed the day and other nonsense items, and then turned myself in, after a wonderful day filled with great boys.
No comments:
Post a Comment